Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Cartridge Identification

Article about: I came across a cartridge stamped 7.92 MM 42. Can anyone give me any info as regards country of origin, manufacturer etc.--also I'm assuming from the 42 that this is from WW2--Am I correct?

Default Cartridge Identification

I came across a cartridge stamped 7.92 MM 42. Can anyone give me any info as regards country of origin, manufacturer etc.--also I'm assuming from the 42 that this is from WW2--Am I correct?
    Thank you,
    vets son

Default Re: Cartridge Identification

7.92mm was the standard German rifle round of WW2.

Cheers, Ade.

?

This HS has been I.D.`d on other forums as Canadian produced.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Certainly doesn't sound like any German round I've ever seen. Usually they have 4 marks on them, maker, case composition, batch number and date. Only difference to this are the SS cartridges.

Steve T

Quote by zwerge View Post
    This HS has been I.D.`d on other forums as Canadian produced.
    Thanks for the info.---any idea why a Canadian Munition Maker would be making the 7.92 cartridge, and also why the 42 date stamp (if in fact the 42 is a date stamp)
    Thanks,
    vets son

?

The general concensus of opinion on the I.A.A,which is the International Ammunition Association website is that the ammo was produced by Dominion Arsenals in Canada in the 1950`s as a clandestine contract for the C.I.A..The dating being changed to hide it`s origin. As Ripley said," Believe it or not". Here is a pic from their website.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cartridge Identification  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nice pics Zwerge.

Certainly seems plausible explanation. Nothing like German headstamps of the era.

Steve T

Thanks for all the feedback. Zwerge nailed it, that definitely is my cartridge.
    thanks,
    vets son

Its possible they are WW2, Inglis of Canada produced thousands of 7.92mm Brens know as the Bren 7.92mm Bren Mk1 (Even though its based on a .303 Mk2) in 1943/44 so it could be they were produced to go along with these resistence Brens.

?

Everything about these rounds and the similar 9mmP ones points to clandestine ammo produced in the 1950s. The ammunition shipped to China with the Inglis Brens was either US (Western Cartridge Co) or British made (normal 7.92mm BESA ammo).

The CIA has regularly used Canadian manufacturers to make its clandestine ammo.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/