MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Clarity on firearms law in relation to bullets

Article about: Hi all Can I get opinions from my fellow experts out there as I am constantly having 'discussions' with people about AP, I and API bullets. And before we go any further, let me clarify that

Default Clarity on firearms law in relation to bullets

Hi all

Can I get opinions from my fellow experts out there as I am constantly having 'discussions' with people about AP, I and API bullets. And before we go any further, let me clarify that by 'bullet' I mean the projectile itself and NOT, I repeat NOT, a complete round.

Here is the relevant section in the UK firearms act......

(1A)Subject to section 5A of this Act, a person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Secretary of State or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998), he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or sells or transfers—

(a)any firearm which is disguised as another object;

(b)any rocket or ammunition not falling within paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of this section which consists in or incorporates a missile designed to explode on or immediately before impact and is for military use;

(c)any launcher or other projecting apparatus not falling within paragraph (ae) of that subsection which is designed to be used with any rocket or ammunition falling within paragraph (b) above or with ammunition which would fall within that paragraph but for its being ammunition falling within paragraph (c) of that subsection;

(d)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed so that a substance contained in the missile will ignite on or immediately before impact;

(e)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;

(f)any ammunition which incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on impact;

(g)anything which is designed to be projected as a missile from any weapon and is designed to be, or has been, incorporated in—

(i)any ammunition falling within any of the preceding paragraphs; or

(ii)any ammunition which would fall within any of those paragraphs but for its being specified in subsection (1) of this section.

(2)The weapons and ammunition specified in subsections (1) and (1A) of this section (including, in the case of ammunition, any missiles falling within subsection (1A)(g) of this section)are referred to in this Act as “prohibited weapons” and “prohibited ammunition” respectively.

I have highlighted section 5(1A)(g) as this is the bit that I believe is relevant. This section clearly states that any bullet, (referred to as a missile), that is included in the above sections is illegal to possess. The relevant sections are (d) and (e) which clearly state both incendiary and armour piercing types.

So, from this, put into simple English, any bullet that is contained in the descriptions above, regardless as to whether or not it is 'attached' to a cartridge, is illegal to possess without the relevant firearms licence. Incendiary, armour piercing, armour piercing incendiary or explosive (sub-section (c)), bullets or any combination of these are ILLEGAL TO POSSESS under section 5 of the firearms act.

So, is that or is that not correct?

I thank you.

Steve T

Really a very gray area Steve... I used to collect ap explosive incendiary and incendiary. Had to have a part section 5 added. I would stay away mate. If in doubt. Leave jmo.

Thanks John. I personally do not have any AP, API, I or Explosive bullets in my collection at all. As far as I am concerned they are illegal to possess without the relevant licence and I don't want/need such a licence. I am fed up of getting into discussions with people who believe a bullet on its own 'must' be legal, without being 'attached' to a live cartridge, yet the firearms act seems to say otherwise. I was seeking clarity from you guys.

You are completely correct Steve. As far as the law goes anything to do with firearms or accessories is really treading on thin ice

Thanks John

Wheres our copper when you need him ?.---lol

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    Wheres our copper when you need him ?.---lol
    Checking the licence of that mini cab you drive if there's any justice......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I believe you are 100% correct Steve. Section 5 (1A) (g) clearly prohibits the possession of any missile (bullet) "designed to be, or has been, incorporated" in any ammunition falling into the previous categories of AP, Incendiary etc.

Therefore any of these categories of bullet are prohibited in Section 5 of the Act whether they are in live ammunition, inert ammunition or simply a loose bullet. There have been prosecutions for this.

My own Section 5 authority covers me for the various categories plus the (1A)(g) which acts as a catch-all for any bits and pieces. Some police forces have been saying that there is no need for a separate Section 5 authority if the FAC has a variation for collecting ammunition, but I personally think this is dubious advice and would want to see Section 5 listed specifically.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Many thanks Tony.

Fire arms act covers component parts (ie: new bits), but what about fired bullets....?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast