Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning up dug ammo

Article about: Hi I recently got three 7.92 rounds a friend of mine found on the beaches in Normandy. I tried to identify some of the markings but the alot of it is covered up by mud and sand. Any tips on

Default Cleaning up dug ammo

Hi I recently got three 7.92 rounds a friend of mine found on the beaches in Normandy. I tried to identify some of the markings but the alot of it is covered up by mud and sand. Any tips on how to clean the dirt off? Thanks.

?

Default Re: Cleaning up dug ammo

Oil bath/WD40, (or similar), and then use something like a nylon, (an old toothbrush is good) or soft brass wire brush (usually sold as a "suede" brush in cobblers etc. You can also get them from Halfords or similar car spares places, they are used for cleaning the contacts on spark plugs and the like)
    DONOT use a steel brush, it will kill any brassing left on them.

Thats the way I normally clean up shell casings etc, works for me.

Im sure some of the other guys will chip in with their suggestions also.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: You could also just leave them to soak for a few days in a water bath if they are brass, it should break down the soil/sand/mud adhesion.
    Last edited by jimpy; 04-01-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Addition

You can get the worst of the crap off with wire wool or a scourer and then leave to soak in vinegar for a day or so and they should clean up well. I have also heard that Cillit Bang power cleaner, combined with a scourer, works well but never used it myself. Remember that if the rounds are live, having them is an offence under Section 1 of the Firearms act.....

cheers

Soaking overnight in cola brings brass rounds up pretty good!..

Thanks for the suggestions Ill try cillit bang and hope its "bang and the dirt is gone" not "bang and my dish Is gone" haha.

Be carful not to kill the brass, they will turn pink if acid is used ,,,lots of TLC in the first clean with toothbrush then brasso,

Regards nick