Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Correct German word for egg grenades

Article about: Hello, I’ve seen a box marked/stecilled up for egg grenades. Was it correct to use the plural of egg on the box, shouldn’t any stencilling read Eihandgranaten instead of Eierhandgranaten? Ju

?

Default Correct German word for egg grenades

Hello,

I’ve seen a box marked/stecilled up for egg grenades. Was it correct to use the plural of egg on the box, shouldn’t any stencilling read Eihandgranaten instead of Eierhandgranaten?

Just seems silly to me to call them eggs grenades but then German isn’t my native language so perhaps I’m wrong. Can anyone confirm the correct spelling?

Thanks
    Tony

Eierhandgranaten would be correct (as noted in a dictionary)!
    "Wir sollen auch unser Leben für die Brüder lassen" (1.Joh.3.16):
    zum Gedächtnis Wilhelm Schenk. Er starb fürs Vaterland am 13. Juni 1916

?

Thanks for the reply.

Is that from an English language or German language dictionary?

A book from back in the day shows the singular to be Eihandgranate http://www.lexpev.nl/images/ausbildung0002.jpg but I can't find any literature for the plural which made me wonder if the grenade crate I saw was a modern copy.

Allow me to add that, while Eihandgranate was the official designation, both variants - Eihandgranate and Eierhandgranate - were and are used interchangeably even for the singular form.

Eier is the plural of Ei, but in compound terms it also means “egg-“; for example Eierkopf = egghead, Eierschale = eggshell etc.

So, colloquially, both Eihandgranate(n) and Eierhandgranate(n) are acceptable in German.

I do not know whether both variants were used for official markings, though.

?

Thanks to both of you for putting me straight on that, or at least colloquially

?

Default egg granade

correct is Eihandgranate.

Norbert