Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!

Article about: Hello, does anybody know what these are for? I assume they are some part of a parachute mine. The cans are slightly bigger than a can of tuna. The lid comes off but is attached to the parach

Default Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!

Hello, does anybody know what these are for? I assume they are some part of a parachute mine. The cans are slightly bigger than a can of tuna. The lid comes off but is attached to the parachute. The parachute is made of cotton and given the weight of the can I can only guess that it is designed to make the object fall in a straight line as wouldn't really slow it down. At the bottom of the can is a large screw thread. The cans have stencilled markings stating 'T No14 JNSN (I think)' and what I assume is a date '5-45' and the other '7-45'. Both have dates on the parachute for 1945.
    If anybody can let me know, or even better post a picture of what they would have been attached to I would be very much obliged.

?

Default Re: Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!

I have one of these also..but a bit more modern..I was wondering what they are for also.

It reminds me of a parachute illuminating flare fired from a mortar, so that might be an area worth looking into for an answer?

Thanks

Danny

?

Can you open out the chute need to see what size it is , it looks too small for a parachute flare as the idea is to keep the flare up for as long as possible, i would assume the weight of the container might be too much for this purpose

I'll try and put some photos of the parachute and the markings on it tomorrow. The parachute is to small and the can to heavy for it to float down, I doubt that the parachute would barely slow the can down so I can only guess that it is designed to make the object that the can screws to fall in straight line and land upright.

Another idea might be that the parachute was to seperate this piece from the main round/bomb whilst in the air?

Thanks

Danny

Doesn't look like a parachute for a flare. I have attached the diagrams from my book on British bombs and fuses. This could, however, mean it is American !

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!   Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!  

Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!   Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!  

Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!  

I have taken some more pictures and taken some measurements (all measurements approx).
    The can is 9cm in diameter and 5cm deep (excluding the screw thread). The screw thread 2cm in diameter and 1.5cm long. The diameter of the parachute is 40cm. The can and parachute weigh 1lb.
    The parachute is made of relatively thick cotton (not silk) and the cords are also cotton (not para cord). One parachute has two stamps:
    Stamp 1: circle with A.L.O.M and 2 in the centre.
    Stamp 2: 3 A.E.C.M ARMING LINE EXAMINED
    20 DEC 1945
    The stamps on the other parachute can't be read.
    The lid of the can is tied to the parachute. The lid is held on to the can by way of a thin copper rod/pin which is inserted through a hole on either side of the rim. This would suggest that somebody would have to remove the pin to allow the parachute to deploy.

?

I would think that the parachute deploys and arms the device in mid air

Looks very much like a British no14 parachute housing used on US 20lb fragmentation bombs adapted for British use and dropped used in clusters.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anybody know what these are? Parachutes in a can!  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast