Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

driving me mad....help

Article about: hello people, ive read the stickys & done a bit of googling but i just cant seem to find out what kind of shell/cartridge this is or what it was fired from. it was given to me by my late

Default Re: driving me mad....help

Welcome to the forum, Tezz79................!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

thanks buddy its good to be here ......... just found out the navy used the 2 pr for anti aircraft aswell although i live on the south coast so maybe it was fired from a land based AA gun at something coming over the channel from france

Hello-the 2 pounder AA gun/shell is completely different from the AT gun used in tanks and as a ground gun-the main projectile for the AT gun is a solid shot-no fuse or HE filling as the British army came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort in a high velocity small calibre gun.

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-the 2 pounder AA gun/shell is completely different from the AT gun used in tanks and as a ground gun-the main projectile for the AT gun is a solid shot-no fuse or HE filling as the British army came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort in a high velocity small calibre gun.
    Hi mate, unfortunately I don't have the projectile so I do not know if it was solid or filled with HE.
    have you got any idea what would have fired this then ?
    It's a British round im kinda assuming it was fired & found in britain so it's more than likely from an AA gun right...... Or am I way off the mark ?

Your shell case is for the 2 pounder 'pom pom' AA gun used on ships as single mounts on small ships, quadruple and octuple (4 and 8) barrel mounts on larger vessels-also a limited number of shore based mounts for defending dockyards, ports etc. The AA guns mainly used a small High Explosive shell-they were effective at short range but were replaced by various 40mm Bofors gun mounts on ships after WW2 as these had a greater effective range and a larger HE shell.

?

Aah top man !!!
    I wernt far off then...... Thanks for that mate.
    I'm guessing if fired a HE projectile I ain't got much chance of finding one in tact for it

I'm not sure how much a deactivated one would cost but there would be some out there as it was made in very large no.s for the RN.

?

Might have to go on a little hunt for one of them bad boys..... Thanks for all your help fellas you've answered all them questions that have been doing my nut in.
    It would be nice to get hold of a projectile for it then put a photo up on this thread of the finished article.

?

Quote by Tezz79 View Post
    oh really ?
    i thought i read somewhere that only german cartridges were stamped with mk ...... shows what i know lol
    thanks for that !
    You may be thinking of a weapon designation, e.g. MK108, MK103, where 'MK' stands for 'Maschinen-Kanone' (machine cannon- everything 2cm and above) like 'MG' is 'Maschinen-Gewehr". 'MK' was never stamped on German ordnance to my knowledge- the closest thing that comes to mind is an ink 'M' on 2cm and 3cm Luftwaffe rounds indicating 'Minengeschoss' (HE 'mine' shell).
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12