Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request

Article about: I've found what I think is (and what was represented as) a captured Dutch ammunition crate. It is for the wooden bullet Platzpatronen cartridge, and has the German label on the inside of the

PRE
    ?

Default Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request

I've found what I think is (and what was represented as) a captured Dutch ammunition crate. It is for the wooden bullet Platzpatronen cartridge, and has the German label on the inside of the wooden lid. It also has the '88' stamp on the outside of the crate. Has anyone ever seen an ammo crate that resembles/matches this description? Here are some pictures of the item in question...

The top of the crate appears to read, 'W.A.C. LOS. ANGELOS F345.' I have no idea what that refers to. There is also the remainder of what looks like a math problem scrawled on the upper part of the lid. The sides are unremarkable, and one side has the '88' branded into it. Both of the long sides are marked the same. It reads:
    1350 ST
    PATR LOS
    6.5 M/M (H) D.U.A.M.
    Br. Gew. 29 KG IM HOUDERS MSH

I'm assuming the 'ST' refers to 'Stück,' the number of units contained inside. I don't know exactly what the next line means, but am again assuming that the 'PATR' is shorthand for 'Patronen' or cartridges.
    The next line likely refers to the caliber as noted in German documents, in other words, 6.5 Dutch. Again, no idea on the 'D.U.A.M.' or the 'Br. Gew.,' but following the 29 kilos weight designation the 'IM HOUDERS' is Dutch for 'on holders,' likely referring to cartridges on stripper clips. No idea what the 'MSH' designates.

The floor of the crate makes it obvious that small arms cartridges were stored inside, see photo for detail. The inside of the lid has a cartridge label fixed to it, indicating 6.5 Dutch practice cartridges made at FN in German occupied Belgium. Note the WaA 140 (FN-Liege) and the date stamps. Can anyone fill in with more knowledge of these? I'd like to know what the rest of the stamps refer to, and if I'm on the right track. Thank you for your time.
    Best,
    Pat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request   Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request  

Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request   Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request  

Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request   Dutch/German ammunition crate identification request  

From what I see its a German ammunition box that has been used possibly after the war. It is quite a common box in its platzpatronen guise but I cannot explain the Dutch writing on it I am afraid.
    D.

I can only add the observation that "Br.Gew. 29 kg" means "brutogewicht 29 kilogram" (Dutch) or "Bruttogewicht 29 Kilogramm" (German) [= "gross weight 29 kilograms"].

PRE
    ?

Thank you both-
    Pat