Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Falklands War cluster bomb remains

Article about: The cluster bomb case is pretty cool. I'd be careful where I stepped around there as a lot of the bomblets do not initially explode. We sent a whole bunch of those to our Cuban friends in Gr

Default Re: Falklands War cluster bomb remains

The cluster bomb case is pretty cool. I'd be careful where I stepped around there as a lot of the bomblets do not initially explode. We sent a whole bunch of those to our Cuban friends in Grenada 83'. I don't think they liked them very much

Thanks

Burt
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon

How bizarre....I never knew they used cluster bombs on those fiercely resisting fight to the death Argentines either...Looks like they worked, in any case.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    How bizarre....I never knew they used cluster bombs on those fiercely resisting fight to the death Argentines either...Looks like they worked, in any case.

Hello Wagriff, why would you say it is bizarre?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

No reason,really...it's just a weapon system that I never associated with this particular action, is all.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

They are extremely effective against ground troops and armored vehicles. During the Faulkland War there were Harriers and helicopters landing on my ship for days getting fuel and ordinance. I can't remember which type they were loading but cluster bombs would not have been out of the question. I remember getting mad when I saw President Regan on the ships TV saying "The US is not going to be involved with the faulkland War in any way." HA!!

We dropped a ton of them in Grenada and Beiruit also. It amazed me at the time in Grenada wondering how they could drop so many of these on such a small island. Our A6's, A7's and F-14's were taking off and landing just a short time later just to re-arm and take off again constantly for several days. Hell, we could see the entire island and it didn't look that big. I still can't fathom whee we dropped all of that ordinance? Needless to say that was a very short conflict.

Burt

?

Correct, America gave full assistance to the UK at that time, but it had to be deniable to the US media.

Bless you Ronnie.

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit: I have tried to find the reference book I read about this, with no luck. It did slip out on UK media a few years after the war that America certainly resupplied the Task Force with sidewinders though.

A
    Last edited by aj4010; 05-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    No reason,really...it's just a weapon system that I never associated with this particular action, is all.
    Ok, thanks.

A
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Correct, America gave full assistance to the UK at that time, but it had to be deniable to the US media.

Bless you Ronnie.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Andy, Did they issue a medal for that conflict?

Thanks

Burt

?

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks Andy. I'll have to get one for my collection.

Burt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast