Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finds from a Norfolk beach

Article about: Went for a walk along the dunes at Winterton on Sea with my oldest boy this morning. The dunes were used as a range during the war. If you know where to look its still easy to find a few thi

Default Finds from a Norfolk beach

Went for a walk along the dunes at Winterton on Sea with my oldest boy this morning. The dunes were used as a range during the war. If you know where to look its still easy to find a few things. Found this little collection today. Jason.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Jan
    ?

Default re: Finds from a Norfolk beach

Reminds me of the finds I made on the Hanko front in my younger years. Great inspiration . Thanks for sharing!

Rgds Jan

?

I see tails of 2" mortar shells and what else? Nice finds, I love digging too !

It must be great to just go out for a walk on the beach and pick up this stuff nice selection of finds
    Thanks

Danny

Spot on, the 'tail's' are I believe from 2 inch mortar rounds. The rounds on the top row are all .303 calibre. The rest of the fragments are from Mills grenades, though I not sure about the item pictured bottom left?
    With a little bit of local knowledge it can be quite surprising what you can find sometimes. My Grandfather told me about this spot years ago. As well as being a range, the entire coastline was fortified. There are still pill boxes and tank traps to be seen.
    All the items were recovered from on or just below the surface. A hour or so well spent, cheers Jason.

?

nice finds,rgds Dave

Ive marked your attatched photos to show you what i have identified .Marked A Bottom left is either a no152 or no162 fuze (both almost identical) and adapter/gain ring..often found used on 3inch and 4.2inch mortars (see pic of mine)..the other bits B and C, im sure look more like pieces from 2inch mortar and not grenades no 151 or 161 fuzes again both near identical,,i cant really tell from your photos but some of the larger parts look like squashed brass,these are likely to be the cap (not safety cap) attatched to the fuze again see photos of mine pointing out the parts.
    im sorry about quality of photos ,not used to this camera yet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from a Norfolk beach   Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Finds from a Norfolk beach   Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Finds from a Norfolk beach   Finds from a Norfolk beach  

?

I knew that spotter could ID everything in the picture! Well done,mate.

I found quite often the bottom caps of the Mills grenades and in some cases also the small screw cap. But No fragments or the safety levels.Interesting uh?

Thanks for your help Spotter. I'm looking at the parts now and with the help of your pictures I'm able to say your 100% correct. The cut away sections are in particular helpful. What is really interesting is to see what they looked like all those years ago before they were fired. Another matter of identification you could help me with is that back on the dunes there are several cylinders which look like the mortar round bodies, but without tails or fuses. Some are intact, some are in pieces. I'm a little weary about picking them up so have no pics,(did'nt want to bring home).They have'nt exploded, yet have no fuses, could they be smoke rounds? Thanks again, Jason.

without seeing them i dont want to attempt identify them,in case im wrong and you get hurt or killed,,can you take a photo (without touching them) next time you visit the area..
    If you suspect they are ordnance ,call the police and tell them your concerns and they will get them checked out by eod,although you have been safe and responsible and have not touched them you never know who may find them next

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast