Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Flak Shells Question - Help

Article about: Hello All, I've recently purchased two 20 mm flak shells that are said to have come from Dunkirk 1940 pocket. The shell rounds are both 20mm but the casings are of different 'designs' and le

?

Thumbs up Flak Shells Question - Help

Hello All,

I've recently purchased two 20 mm flak shells that are said to have come from Dunkirk 1940 pocket. The shell rounds are both 20mm but the casings are of different 'designs' and lengths (see below). I have looked on this forum and on the internet but can't seem to get a straight answer. Would each shell have had a different purpose or simply from different guns? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is not my usual field of ww2 german interest, I'm trying to learn more about the type of weapon that fired these (anti-aircraft gun?) etc. Also, I'm unable to find any info regarding the Waffenamt codes underneath each casing?

Thanks for the help guys,

skip01.

Flak Shells Question - HelpFlak Shells Question - HelpFlak Shells Question - HelpFlak Shells Question - HelpFlak Shells Question - HelpFlak Shells Question - HelpFlak Shells Question - Help

Hard to tell from the photos, but looks as if the polished shell may have been cut down. I have a trench art 37mm shell that's had exactly that done to it, having been cut and then crimped to give the appearance of a 'complete' casing. Note how the bottleneck on both of yours starts at the same point.

B.B.

CBH
    ?

I agree, cut down casing.

?

Have a look here for the gun & ammo.......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_cm_F...8/Flakvierling
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Thanks guys Yeah on closer inspection, the polished shell casing does look as though its been cut down (why can't people leave things alone!). Doesn't bother me though, I like them anyway. Thanks for the link, zwerge.

?

Both of the WaA stamps are for inspectors attached to Polte..Magdeburg..Germany, who was the producer of the cartridges,in 1936.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE