Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German rifle grenades and launchers

Article about: Hi collectors, I just want to show you some pictures of my rifle-grenade collection. That's my main interest and I have written a book about it some years ago (but it's sold out now). Enjoy

Default Re: German rifle grenades and launchers

Many thanks Bill,
    I'd never heard of a message grenade, how did they work? If they were fired at another unit of your own side how did the recipient find it without getting injured, (blue on blue), or was it fired at the enemy suggesting that they surrendered!
    Very interesting to see those excellent examples of the K 98 launcher complete with tools.
    Best regards,
    Guy.

Hi Guy, these message grenades were sometimes used to shoot over surrender passes to Russian troops. Have a look here for some original examples:

Origina German WW2 propoganda grenade and leaflets. Set.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Ade,
    Surrender passes, did these offer safe passage for those who used them, and how did the the finder know these messages were concealed inside the grenade? If I found an enemy grenade whilst on the battlefield the last thing I would think of would be to take it to pieces out of curiosity. Could they have been marked in some way on the exterior of the projectile?
    Interestng thread here, I still learn something on each visit to the forum.
    Best regards,
    Guy.

Hi Guy, I don't know exactly how these worked. I would imagine they would burst open to scatter the contents???

Yes, the message on these was the usual "come over to us, you will be well treated etc....."

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Ade,
    Thanks for that info. I've at last managed to get a few photos of the markings inside the base (bakelite?) unit, I can make out 1944 and another mark which may resemble the mark on the top of the projectile. It would be useful for me if anyone can describe the markings for me? Also is this a percussion/impact fuze, Bill's drawing is I think a hand grenade version and doesn't show the movable bakelite nose which mine has?
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German rifle grenades and launchers   German rifle grenades and launchers  

German rifle grenades and launchers   German rifle grenades and launchers  

Attached Images Attached Images German rifle grenades and launchers 

Hi Guy, I can help with the bakelite markings. Please see this link to a thread of mine with some good info links therein:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/field...-markings-828/

Cheers, Ade.

Yes this is an impact fuse, it's called a Kopfzunder AZ 5071. t was used on other munitions too,
    Pete.

Thank you Pete,
    I can now look for a drawing and update my catalogue.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Thanks Ade,
    I now have a reference for bakelite marks.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

GGG
    ?

Hi,
    here is a drawing of the "Gewehr-Propagandagranate".
    After some seconds of flight the buster (Ausstossladung) shoots out the two half-cases containing the leaflets.

With best wishes
    Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German rifle grenades and launchers  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast