Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German or Soviet cartridge case?

Article about: I've recently taken ownership of a trench art cartridge from a Stalingrad digger I sometimes buy from. I am curious as to the origin of the cartridge. I can see the markings '23g' and on the

?

Default Re: German or Soviet cartridge case?

According to Tony Williams 20mm website if the base measures 25mm it will be a 20x105B short Solothurn used in the S18-100 A.T. rifle,if base is 27mm it is a 20x138B long Solothurn used in flak 30-38 among others.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hello Glenn! So you're the one that ended up with this shot glass! I was watching this one fairly closely, as I have been half collecting these things for the last couple of years, but I left it go, as I have one that is similar to yours in design(unit wise). Of all of my pieces, they are pretty much all of the same size and calibre as yours is. It must have been a standard size round. I only pick these up if they have engravings or unit markings on them and some that you run across are just fascinating. I've got several that are engraved for Christmas (Weihnachten) and can only imagine what a miserable Christmas that must have been for the makers of these glasses. Quite likely their last Christmas. I don't collect much these days, but these pieces are "history in your hand". Nice shotglass you picked up there! (But,don't trust these Vologograd "diggers" too highly-they'll sell you rocks and claim they came from Paulus's coat pocket, if they thought they could get away with it!) William

Hi William, yeah I don't place too much trust in the Volgograd diggers either, each piece must be judged on it's merits. The seller of this piece usually has items I believe are original but he also has sells some restamped dog tags, whether the dodgy dogtags are his only line of fakes or he branches into other areas is unknown. Still, this case was about $70 i think so not too bad and i'm 50% comfortable with the authenticity. If such shot glasses were a common item among the troops then it stands to reason that nearly as many of these should be getting dug up as there were troops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2