Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German stick grenade. What do you think?

Article about: Thanks for the tip Davejb, at this time Im not going to tuch the paint. Im pretty sure I will be unhappy with the result.

?

Default German stick grenade. What do you think?

Recently bought this german stick grenade.
    I think its original with all new paint on it, what do you think?

Regards/ Anders
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German stick grenade. What do you think?   German stick grenade. What do you think?  

German stick grenade. What do you think?   German stick grenade. What do you think?  

German stick grenade. What do you think?   German stick grenade. What do you think?  

Default Re: German stick grenade. What do you think?

Very curious this body with RZM...A new generation....It's a figment.
    The grenade seems to be correct.

?

How about its color, is it new? Done to look old..
    I can see a lighter green under the dark..

I agree with Lebus, that the grenade body is original. I don't know what's going on with the different colors. They obviously repainted it and then put those fake runes in white to sex it up. The wood portion is probably original but not to that body. The fakes in these are astounding today, just like everything else.

Jay

?

Thanks lebus and sitges!

Im thinking of removing all the new paint, do you have any advise on how to do it carfully?

/Anders

?

That depends on whether or not you mean you want to see if there's any original paint below the new stuff, or if you're just concerned about harming the metal or the wood. A chemical paint stripper like the kind one uses for re-finishing furniture would work fine- it'll affect the paint, but not the metal nor the wood. But if you want to see about antoher layer of paint, the only certain way is to use water and very fine grit sandpaper, and spend a lot of time slowly working at it.

Now it may be the case that any old paint is so old and set that modern paint stripper won't harm it- I have seen that before; the chemical quickly makes new paint bubble up, but doesn't do anything to the 60-year-old paint, so by working quickly, one can avoid harming old finishes. The problem is that you have to test this- find an inconspicuous place that appears to be original paint and apply a small drop of stripper to see if it has any effect. If it doesn't, you might be able to do it this way.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Very good advise Matt, I think its free from old paint already.

I have tried to drown the cap in white spirit, but it does not solve the paint... I sure hope I'm not taking of original paint! X(

Quote by Ande View Post
    Very good advise Matt, I think its free from old paint already.

I have tried to drown the cap in white spirit, but it does not solve the paint... I sure hope I'm not taking of original paint! X(
    Hi.. try to clean it with Acetone,, try it on a small area first thought.. Personally i would leave it as is, the paint underneath is apple green by the look of it and never seen one this color ,i have a few different shades of green
    in my sick gren collection, how much did you pay for it ?

Regards nick

?

I paid 100 euros I think..

?

Please do not use "Sandpaper" with water, all that will happen will be the paper disintegrate on you and leave a real mess, if you really have to use an abrasive ,use wet and dry paper , this is coated with emery grit and is designed for use on metal, or you could use an abrasive cloth with water or a grit scourer(similar to a kitchen pad scourer) but more sturdy and abrasive, but as with any abrasive you have to realise that if you go too deep you will not be able to recover the original finish, ive seen people do this time after time, thinking that there must be a better paint finish underneath then going too far and reaching bare metal, once you do that it loses its originality completely

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast