Once again a couple of our chaps over here who like to go out with metal detectors have hit on another piece of unexploded ordnance left over from the German Occupation of the Island of Jersey. Whilst looking for cannon ball they dug up a mortar bomb in the middle of St.Aubin's Bay at the low water mark. It was covered in the usual hard grey sandy crust but the shape was unmistakable.
After a quick inspection is was confirmed as live and preperations were made for its immediate disposal by the Islands Bomb Disposal Officer. The bomb was made ready and then re-buried in the hole it had been found in. We retreated to a safe distance and after informing the Airport and Coastguard it was detonated shortly after 3.30 on Thursday afternoon. After a quick dig in the impressive crater it had formed in the sand, the tail fin and nose fuse and a couple of small pieces of shrapnel were found.
The mortar bomb was of French manufacture but had been used in great number by the Germans. It was a Mortier Brandt 81mm Mle 27/31, which had the German designation of 8.14cm Grw.278 (f). The bomb had a range of 1000 to 1900 metres which is truly impressive for the time.
As you can see on the remains of the nose fuse there appears to be a date of 1937, this appeared after the explosion and all the crud of the previous 70 years had been blown away..... quite amazing really.
Anyway thats one more potential disaster removed from our beaches.
All the best from Jersey,