MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German WW1 13mm T-Gewehr Anti Tank Rifle.

Article about: here it is in action

Default German WW1 13mm T-Gewehr Anti Tank Rifle.

Another interesting couple of diagrams here. This one concerns the German WW1 13mm T-Gewehr Anti Tank rifle. This weapon proved highly dangerous to its firer if not fired in the correct manner. The weapon generated a chamber pressure of 18 tons and could easily break the firers shoulder if he did not position himself correctly when firing the weapon. The weapon required a two man crew for more than just the reason of lugging it and its ammunition. It was noted that after just three shots some of the firers would experience bleeding, eyes, ears and nose and concussion!! So the two man crew would alternate firing of the weapon. I did read an interesting piece about a German WW1 Infantry Gefrieter who was one of the first to use the weapon against a British tank at Cambrai. He had 20 rounds of ammo and it took 17 shots before the tank finally halted. One of the British crewmen was dead inside and the others were shot dead as they attempted to exit the tank-nasty business! As for the ammo its a 13mmx92SR brass case with bullet fitted with an armour piercing core of Tungsten. These rounds are collectors items in their own right as first production run rounds are dated April 1918 and dates up to Dec 1918 can be found though interestingly Nov 1918 dated examples are very very scarce indeed. Also check before you buy any complete inert rounds that the Armour Piercing core has been removed from the bullet. I know its a ridiculous sign of our draconian times but if you have any with the AP core intact they are subject to Section 5 of the UK Firearms Act and you could get into trouble. That said i do see these rounds clearly marked AP core removed at the shows and they go from around £50.00.

Default 13mmx92SR T-Gewehr AT Cartridge.

Had problem posting this picture with the main piece ive posted so here it is a complete inert AP core free example of the 13mmx92SR cartridge. The headstamp indicates the round was manufactured in April (4) 1918 (18) the P denotes Polte Werke Magdeberg as the manufacturer and the stamping T67 is the designation Anti Tank Cartridge and filling type number. A worthwhile collection would be trying to assemble cartidges dated from the first production batches of April 1918 up to Dec 1918 the last produced and probably the more scarcer ones apart from Nov 1918 of which seems very few were ever produced.
    Last edited by Falschirmjager; 05-02-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Picture absent in first attempt!

Default Re: German WW1 13mm T-Gewehr Anti Tank Rifle.

Falschirmjager, very informative thread, thanks for posting. Great weapon, if a bit lacking in the thought of design department, but it did the trick, but as you say a bugger to fire. Here in the U.K. they come up occasionally as a Deac, but you have to be quick to snap one up !

Quote by oradour View Post
    Falschirmjager, very informative thread, thanks for posting. Great weapon, if a bit lacking in the thought of design department, but it did the trick, but as you say a bugger to fire. Here in the U.K. they come up occasionally as a Deac, but you have to be quick to snap one up !
    Ive heard they are around £6000 and have now been classed as an obsolete calibre requiring no deactivation now which is good. On that point there are a few T-Gewehr owners in the USA who have actually had some rounds specially made up so they can fire their weapons. The rounds are aluminium case with lower charges and saboted smaller calibre bullets so the kick is so violent. Though there are a few who have requested some 13x92SR be made up to the original Polte spec-now dont think id want to try firing one!!!

I have always wanted a T Gewehr. Last one I saw sold at £3,750.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have always wanted a T Gewehr. Last one I saw sold at £3,750.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thats not a bad price Adrian. I wouldnt mind even a relic one as they are pieces of history that are most fascinating.

?

I still find it funny that early in WWII the Wehrmacht still fielded an anti-tank rifle using a huge case (similar to this one's?), but necked down to accept a 7,92mm projectile... the weirdest-lookin ammunition I've ever seen to be sure...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Here's one of those "wierd" 7.92 rounds that recently sold at auction for $126.00!!!!!

7.92x94 GERMAN PANZERBUECHSE Antitank Round : Collectible Ammo at GunBroker.com

Anti-tank guns and munitions have a fascinating history. The money and effort put in to disabling tanks is a story in itself.

Armor / Anti-armor / Anti-anti armor and so on.

Hello-AT rifles were common to all the major armies at the start of the war in 1939-no other man portable weapons were available and many tanks/armoured cars etc were still vulnerable to them-although this rapidly changed as the war continued and armour thickness increased. The Soviets used their PTRD M1941 14.5mm cal until 1945 as they never developed Bazooka or missile projectors like the other combatants did. As far as crewing goes, the UK Boys .55" needed 1 man to fire the rifle and another to lie across his legs to help absorb the recoil if the ground was hard!

Reg
    ?

Hi Gents

I had the chance to have a good look and tinker with one of these AT rifles in an MOD armoury some years ago! theyre incredibly heavy! I also saw one the other week in the Shropshire regiment museum in Shrewsbury castle! I bet there are quite a few still around in small museums etc ... they must have been one of the ultimate bring-back's for troops and regimental collections after the war! Ild imagine any Mauser collector would see it as possibly the ultimate item.

That ww2 7.92 round is certainly pretty wacky looking!!! Great thread, Thanks Fallschirmjager!

Cheers
    Reg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast