Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glassmine 43

Article about: I now have two examples of the Glassmine 43 in my collection. I wanted to obtain one of these for many years, after first seeing on in a museum in Normandy in 1989. The Glassmine was develop

Default Glassmine 43

I now have two examples of the Glassmine 43 in my collection. I wanted to obtain one of these for many years, after first seeing on in a museum in Normandy in 1989.

The Glassmine was developed to be difficult to detect using the new mine detectors then coming into use with the Allies. There was not much metal used in the construction so they were hard to locate.

The mine was activated by pressure. The thin 1mm glass sheer plate would break, allowing the fuse to be crushed and thus setting off the mine.

There were two types of fuse used. The example here has the Hebelzunder44 or as it was nick named the "Boars head" pattern. Dated 1944 and maker code marked ‘GZX’ for "Schuco GmbH."

The glass bowls can be found with different mould numbers impressed into them and also the thick glass plates can be found in brown coloured glass.

The mine was useful being waterproof once the glass shear plate was sealed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glassmine 43   Glassmine 43  

Glassmine 43   Glassmine 43  

Attached Images Attached Images Glassmine 43  Glassmine 43  Glassmine 43 

?

Default Re: Glassmine 43

Nice and almost compete one! They are a bit rare in Eastern front. In the Ostfront is in wide use concrete mines
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

jmatchlock
    ?

looks good -no cracks

Thanks for the comments guys

I bought this one at Beltring a few years ago and then though "How am I going to get it home in one peice?" A two hundred mile journey in a WW2 Jeep is not the best way to transport glass But we did it.

My other example came from Holland and was recovered by a friend and he kindly gave it to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Rifleman
    ?

have you ever been tempted to use it as a salad bowl???

it is very nicely designed almost like an artwork if it was not so deadly

Never though of that one

Cheers, Ade.

fascinating!I never knew of these,thanks

appie
    ?

I love these mines! I have one in my collection with a brown pressure-plate, dated 40. Also I have the instructionspaper withit. They could be converted from a AP mine into a AT mine by simply ading more blocks of HE into it, I believe 5 pieces, and placing two steel rods under the pressureplate in the two groves so it would hold the weight of a footsoldier. Dont know if it was a great succes as a AT mine, but it would do the job for a smaller vehickle.
    If you like I make picture of the instruction paper.

,i have one of these mines but have not seen the instruction paper ,please put it on appie

appie
    ?

Quote by spotter View Post
    ,i have one of these mines but have not seen the instruction paper ,please put it on appie
    I try to find it, but alot of my collection is in boxes, not on display, so I have to go through alot of boxes to find it. When I have it I'll put it on, or if you wish you can have a photocopy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast