Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

A guide to headstamps

Article about: I thought I would do a quick guide to cartridge headstamps. I know many of us are well aware of what all the stamps mean, but some people don’t and I think it would be useful to those people

Default Re: A guide to headstamps

What is the best way to clean some rounds that are found in the ground without causing much damage oh and doesn't cost a fortune either
    Last edited by bradanimal; 03-18-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Have a look in the 'restoring and refurbishing' forum section. Plenty of tips in there.

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Have a look in the 'restoring and refurbishing' forum section. Plenty of tips in there.

Steve T
    Steve to the rescue again. HAHA thanks!

themindseye
    ?

Wondering if someone can help identify a maker for me, the stamp on the bullrt says TE 17 CN 4 any ideas???
    cheers

TE=Cartoucherie de Toulouse, Toulouse, France, Year=1917, usually found on Lebel 8mm rounds.
    aghs

?

Well it always helps to give a calibre or a picture of the round.

However, given the headstamp format and the date it is most likely you have a French 8mm Lebel. I presume you mean the headstamp on the case, not the base of the bullet, although in fact the Lebel bullets were stamped on the base.

Anyway,
    TE is the case maker, Cartoucheriede Toulouse
    CN is the metal supplier, Atelier Mecanique de Normandie
    17 is the Date 1917(?)
    4 is the 4th Quarter of the year.

The reason I put a question mark against the date is that this is not the normal headstamp layout for a WWI 8mm Lebel case. It is more like a 1930s headstamp.

Regards
    TonyE

Oops! posts crossed. Anyway, check that date.
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

themindseye
    ?

Thanks for the info but I'll post a picture of it when I go home so you can verify it, Thanks again for your answer I googled it a zillion times with no results

From Russia
    ?

Hello guys!
    Help me please to recognize the bullet. I have only one small part of it with headstamp.
    On head stamp I can see symbols: digits 1942 and 20 (right under 1942), and letters "...ES" or "....NES" between 1942 and 20.
    Diameter of headstamp 22mm, diameter of shell about 25mm
    I found it at Saipan

Need to see a picture of it please. Could be a 20mm but need a picture to be sure

?

Many thanks for the detail contained here especially the note about the variance in the firing pin markings - I had been wondering about that for some time. it now makes perfect sense.

If you have any info on WW1 German head stamps it would be most helpful, these appear to be divided into 4 parts by a cross on the base.

Keep up the good work

r3jmk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast