Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying German Grenade

Article about: Greetings members This detonator, which I believe is from some sort of hand grenade was found in Romania. It was found intact, slightly bent, but without the grenade and a bullet was also fo

Default Help identifying German Grenade

Greetings members
    This detonator, which I believe is from some sort of hand grenade was found in Romania. It was found intact, slightly bent, but without the grenade and a bullet was also found a couple of feet away. I believe the detonator to be WW2 and German, since German forces occupied the area and the bullet headstamp also indicated "E K" which was a Greek manufacturer under German contract to supply munitions to the Nazis.
    Does anybody know what kind of grenade it came off (if it's from one to begin with). I'd love to see a picture of what one looked like. What's interesting about it is that the top of it (where what's left of the lever is attached to the side) is circular in shape does not seem to show its inner workings (primer or striking pin). Maybe it is to the side of the handle and behind it, although I didn't tamper with it much since it's still intact and could pose a danger.
    Would appreciate the help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying German Grenade  

Default Re: Help identifying German Grenade

Hello. Guess what... If was found in Romania, it's Romanian! The fuze is French by design (md. 1935 http://visualcollector.com/VisualCol...Fuze1935-L.jpg)
    and was used by the romanian military along with F1 grenade bodies.

That 7.92 Mauser bullet that was along with it might be used by a Romanian soldier (in a Czech VZ24 rifle) and not necessarily by a "nazi" as you call the Germans.

You should dispose of them carefully. Even if the fuze is fired, the cartridge is loaded and could be dangerous (i've found loads of them, but that doesn't mean they're not dangerous).

Hope this helps.
    Cristi

Edit. the fuze is unfired, just noticed the remains of the firing pin... Get rid of it asap...

....you can get a safe one from GRENADA DEFENSIVA PTR COLECTIONARI - Okazii (37854417)
    with a postwar F1 body.

Advice well taken
    many thanks for the information
    Noroc

no problem. anytime.