Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed to identify shell

Article about: Can any Forum member help to identify this shell. It measures 13.5 cm in length and 3cm across the base. The only markings on the base consist of an "E" at 12 o'clock and the lette

mjw
    ?

Default Help needed to identify shell

Can any Forum member help to identify this shell. It measures 13.5 cm in length and 3cm across the base. The only markings on the base consist of an "E" at 12 o'clock and the letter "I" at 6 o'clock. The head appears to be made of lead? painted black. It has two grooves around the base above a copper band. Any ideas will be most welcome. Kind regards, Malcolm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed to identify shell  

I'm not 100% but the projectile looks like a replica to me. The copper driving band looks to be flush with the projectile which wouldn't work as a driving band.

mjw
    ?

Many thanks for the reply. Take your point regarding the copper band. On inspection it looks to be more than a band and extends into the case? The primer cap on the base of the brass case has been fired. Any other ideas anyone? Kind regards, Malcolm.

?

It is a 1 inch Aiming Rifle used as a sub-calibre device in larger guns. It was made by Eley Bros. (E) and is a Mark I (I). I suspect it is an Electric Mark I but without a picture of the base I cannot be certain.

The projectile is original, the reason it looks odd is that it is not seated deeply enough. It should be seated to the top cannelure. The copper part is not a driving band, it is a gas check on the base of the proj which is why it is the same diameter.

For more info Google "1" Aiming Rifle" or Aiming Tube", there is plenty of info.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

mjw
    ?

Hello Tony, many thanks for the very interesting and comprehensive information. It is much appreciated. Kind regards, Malcolm.

I think we need to find Tony a challenge.

?

Well I am game for a challemge! Don't expect instant replies though as I am on holiday next week with limited internet connection.

Cheers
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/