MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

HMS St. Cathan relics part II

Article about: Hello all! In an earlier post I requested help in identifying a brass artifact that I had recovered from the sunken ASW ship HMS St. Cathan, which sunk off the coast of South Carolina in 194

Default HMS St. Cathan relics part II

Hello all!
    In an earlier post I requested help in identifying a brass artifact that I had recovered from the sunken ASW ship HMS St. Cathan, which sunk off the coast of South Carolina in 1942 after colliding with the Dutch merchant ship Hebe. With thanks to Big Ned's sharp eye, it appeared that the item may have been a detonator booster can from a Mark 6 depth charge, and might have contained enough TNT (3.52 lbs.) to mess up my shed. I'm happy to report that the object was safely and discreetly removed from the shed by the bomb squad last week. They promised to let me know how big of a boom it made when they destroyed it.

Here are a few more items that I recovered from the St. Cathan
    The five copper items are solid and are approximately 2 1/8" high by 5/8" diameter. The base is stamped with the broad arrow and marked "STOP BELT 5 M G I.N. P.L." Not sure what these are either, but I am pretty sure that they won't blow up!

Thanks again to Ned and others for your help!

Regards,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS St. Cathan relics part II