Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to tell if my 30mm Aden LV is live or inert

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm very new to this topic. I found 34 20mm spitfire rounds on the beach today and 2 30mm Aden LV's. 1 LV is missing the point revealing a dense blue and white coated inside. Th

Default How to tell if my 30mm Aden LV is live or inert

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this topic.
    I found 34 20mm spitfire rounds on the beach today and 2 30mm Aden LV's.
    1 LV is missing the point revealing a dense blue and white coated inside.
    The other LV pictured is whole of course.
    My question is....how do I tell if it's inert or live.
    There's no remains of blue paint or any markings whatsoever due to corrosion from the ocean.

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

CBH
    ?

You can never be sure with relic ordnance like this, I'd be concerned with the 30mm being a beach find once whatever is inside dries out it might become unstable. The 20mm have marked on the drive bands showing they have been fired, so are probably safe but, You only have to be Wrong Once. Welcome to the forum.

They could just be training rounds, and thus inert, but with things like this it's far better to be safe than sorry. The coating you mention could be white phosphorus, used in tracer rounds. It's a highly dangerous and volatile substance, even after decades in the ground. Although if you're referring to the one on the right, it looks more like a hardened armour-piercing tip to me.

I'm by no means a munitions expert, though. Best wait for those in the know to chip in.

B.B.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Thanks fellas, much appreciated. I would love to keep the 30mm Aden but it's relatively light which I've been informed by a guy who forwarded the pic to a chap from the EOD that it generally means it's dangerous.
    Wish I could tell.
    Maybe I should bite the bullet and call the coastguard and get rid.
    There's so many coming up on the sand recently after several back to back stormy seas.

If you suspect it's live, don't take a chance with it. Shells from the First World War still occasionally kill people over a hundred years later, so Second World War ordnance will be just as if not more dangerous. Not worth having a piece in your collection that could kill you. Not that you should panic. It hasn't gone off yet, after all. But I wouldn't go whacking it with a hammer or rolling it down the stairs anytime soon.

B.B.

?

The 30mm should be stamped with a date ,Maker and type just above where the drive band was.Ie. 79CY PRAC which would tell you it was made in 79 by ROF Chorley and was a practice round but better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't bother taking the risk with potentially dodgy relic rounds. Inert Aden rounds are easy enough to find for sale in good condition for about £15 - £20.

?

Good afternoon guys - I have read through the various responses regarding this thread and as an ex munitions technician with a certain amount of experience within the area of Explosives Ordnance Disposal, I feel almost as if I have a duty to respond. Firstly I have to agree with Harry in purchasing an inert item from an approved supplier and would advocate leaving any type of discovered item of ordnance in this type scenario well alone and report it to the authorities who will task the relevant agency to deal with it safely. Please remember these agencies have received in depth training and have much experience in firstly identifying the item and secondly the appropriate method to render it safe. I therefore do not think it appropriate to now give any detail on what type of round it could be and whether it has been fired and list all the components etc etc as this type of information is often dangerous in the wrong hands. I do not say this lightly and do not wish to offend anyone but I know a number of fellow operators and many unsuspecting civilians who have received serious injuries having been exposed to similar situations!! One thing I will point out is that if this was indeed a live high explosive round that had been fired and had failed to function - it would be fitted with a fuze (nose section). The most dangerous action one can take in this instance is to then disturb or move the item as the fuze is highly likely to armed!! I hope you all understand my position and thoughts on this matter. Please all stay safe - best regards

For the life of me I cannot understand why people pick up these things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast