Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

ID for german round found in UK.

Article about: Recently a German round was found amongst American debris at Denford Park, near Hungerford,- a 101st Airborne billet in England. While it may have come from an aircraft flying by, it could a

ILH
    ?

Default ID for german round found in UK.

Recently a German round was found amongst American debris at Denford Park, near Hungerford,- a 101st Airborne billet in England. While it may have come from an aircraft flying by, it could also have been a souvenir brought back after Normandy and before Arnhem.

It was also unsafe and had to be properly disposed of, so i cannot measure it or take photos.

Calibre was approx 2cm. markings 'P382', 'W?A849' under eagle(?), '40', '52e'.

Anyone know what it was?
    cheers, Jim.

Default Re: ID for german round found in UK.

Hi Jim, hard to say without a photo. It could be a aircraft cannon round or even a 2cm Flak round.

If the bottom of the case was belted (i.e. a reinforcing band around the bottom of the case) it would have been from the 2cm Flak.

Cheers, Ade.

ILH
    ?

Rimless and belted for the 2cmFlak- like a Rarden cannon?

I am not really familiar with modern stuff, sorry. But yes, rimless and belted design.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by ILH View Post
    Recently a German round was found amongst American debris at Denford Park, near Hungerford,- a 101st Airborne billet in England. While it may have come from an aircraft flying by, it could also have been a souvenir brought back after Normandy and before Arnhem.

It was also unsafe and had to be properly disposed of, so i cannot measure it or take photos.

Calibre was approx 2cm. markings 'P382', 'W?A849' under eagle(?), '40', '52e'.

Anyone know what it was?
    cheers, Jim.
    Hi Jim
    Just out of interest: Orinignally being from Swindon, we spent alot of time in Hungerford etc & Dad found loads of bits & pieces which I am going to try & find! Loads of 101st airborne treasue hunting arounf there! Lydiard Park in Swindon is another place! Where the sports fields are now placed used to be the 101st airborne hospital set up for the normandy landings
    Dan

?

Like this- 2cm Flak.
    Attached Images Attached Images ID for german round found in UK. 
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hey ILH

Take a look at the top thread in this forum....

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ordin...adstamps-5718/

.....the last bit in the first post about German headstamps on small arms ammo can also be applied to the 2cm casing you have.

The '40' is the year, the P number is the makers mark (that thread I linked also has links to sites that list all the P number manufacturers) and the 52e is likely to be a batch number. Not too sure about the other bit though....gimme a tick and I'll find out

Cheers

Steve T

Back

The WAA code is the inspectors stamp

Cheers

Steve T