Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

ID on a large German 1918 naval(?) casing?

Article about: Hey guys, my father bought a bunch of random antiques from someone who had passed away, and found this bad boy. Knowing that i like anything gun/cannon related, he gave me this large casing.

Default ID on a large German 1918 naval(?) casing?

Hey guys, my father bought a bunch of random antiques from someone who had passed away, and found this bad boy. Knowing that i like anything gun/cannon related, he gave me this large casing. It's in very nice condition considering it's age BUT some d*** found it a good idea to drill holes all around the mouth of the case... God i hate those pseudo artists.

Anyway, from the research i have done i would THINK this came from a 24 cm SK L/40 gun, as the caliber is roughly 24cm but closer to 25cm but i found no record of a 25cm gun used by Germany at that time from my very limited research. There was another gun of the same diameter but that one used bagged charges instead of cased.

I'd love to own the actual shell that came with it but yeah, one can dream... Or be rich... Or know the right people

Any ideas from the experts?
    Cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID on a large German 1918 naval(?) casing?   ID on a large German 1918 naval(?) casing?  

That's a very interesting shell casing you've got there. I'm wondering if it's from the famous "Paris gun" which also had a calibre that varied from 210 -238mm. The bore was rebored by Krupps after a certain number of rounds were fired. The Paris Gun, firing from behind German lines and hitting Paris 130km away was unleased in March 1918. Only about 300 rounds were actually fired before the Germans with drew the gun. The gun was never found by the allied forces.
    I've had a look at a photo of the Paris gun shell casing and it looks the same dimensions. The holes around the top edge were used to attache silk bags of further gun powder. These bags were as long as the brass base casing and two were attached ahead of the brass casing. The projectile on top. If i'm correct you have a very rare relic.

Alex what is the length of the brass case you have in centimetres?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Alex what is the length of the brass case you have in centimetres?
    Hey thanks for the reply! Sorry for the wait but i don't get any email when someone replies to my threads and i don't really know how to change those settings... It's 103cm long. The one in the picture looks like a smaller diameter than mine, could just be the photo too tho.

If it would really be from a Paris Gun that would be amazing!

I have a few more different casings here so if you want i could put a very common one next to it for size comparison