Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

KwK 42 & 43 relic shellcases.

Article about: Well, the 'big' 2014 fairs are now past for me and I must say I'm really pleased to have these two in my collection ; so I set up a little display in the garden yesterday to celebrate..... T

Smile KwK 42 & 43 relic shellcases.

Well, the 'big' 2014 fairs are now past for me and I must say I'm really pleased to have these two in my collection ; so I set up a little display in the garden yesterday to celebrate.....

The KwK 43 came from the La Gleize show, and the KwK 42 from War & Peace Revival. Yes, they're tatty relics but neither was hideously expensive and they both have C/22St electric primers. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I just didn't believe the KwK42 round was as described by the stallholder ( 'Ja it is from Panther' etc ) thinking it was a PaK 40 - but when I got it home and made out the ID number on the base - he was right ( OK, I know it could be from another AFV but I like the Panther ! ).

As a great 'Bulge' enthusiast I've wanted examples of these in my collection for a long time, so to have them at last - plus the memories of actually finding them - makes them my 'star' finds of the year.

?

Very nice- I like relics because often the nice condition stuff is just too insanely expensive LOL

The KwK42 cartridge is easy to distinguish from the Pak40 because it's rather larger in diameter and is necked- the Pak40 isn't.

And yes, the Panther wasn't the only vehicle to mount the KwK42 L/70 (PaK42), but there were something like 5500 Panthers built vs. 950 Jagdpanzer IV/70s so statistically it's way in favour of the Panther Actually the KwK43 L/71 cartridge is less certainly from a Königstiger since there were more vehicles that used that gun, and far fewer of all types were built- just under 500 Königstiger, 473 Nashorn/Hornisse, 91 Ferdiand/Elefant, 415 Jagdpanther- so it's about even between the main three.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thumbs up

I'd forgotten about the Jagdpanther - which makes it even 'better' !

very nice relics.

I am still looking for a Tiger casing.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.