Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Latest .303 additions

Article about: Picked these .303's up recently to add to my growing collection. 1. rifle grenade ballistite H mark Iz dated 1940 and blackened for id, there is also a interloper in the steel box if you can

4md
    ?

Default Latest .303 additions

Picked these .303's up recently to add to my growing collection.

1. rifle grenade ballistite H mark Iz dated 1940 and blackened for id, there is also a interloper in the steel box if you can spot it, an MF 1940 dated aussie grenade round. The rest are all Royal Laboratories Woolwich

2. the unopened sealed box is a bit of an unknown the guy I got them from said they were 1944 dated but thanks to Tonys site I discoverey they were 1956 according to the H3282 code. Not sure on the manufacturer,does anyone know? because was I toying with the idea of opening it.

3.Also A box of december 1916 mk6 CAC

regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latest .303 additions   Latest .303 additions  

Latest .303 additions   Latest .303 additions  

Latest .303 additions   Latest .303 additions  

AIF
    ?

Hi Paul you have done well with those pick ups!! Those ballistite rounds are bloody hard to find over here mate

Cheers Luke.

?

A nice find, especially with the box label.

The 32 round packet should have the Date of Work (which shows the manufacturer) rubber stamped on it somewhere but perhaps it got missed. The date of the rounds may be 1956 but may be a year or so earlier. they will not be later than 1957 though. Whether you open it is up to you, but you will not be spoiling anything special if you do.

Assuming that your CAC rounds have the month in the headstamp they are Australian and not New Zealand manufactured.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

4md
    ?

I decided to open the packet and was quite surprised with what I found. My guess would have been Pakistani or british but it was something totally different. will post some photos......they are a bit earlier than 1956

4md
    ?

Yep The CAC are Australian they have a 12 in the head stamp

4md
    ?

I didn't expect the unopen box to contain these U 1942 mk 7 made in South Africa at the Kimberly mint. that's if that is a diamond on the head stamp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latest .303 additions   Latest .303 additions  

?

Yes, those are Kimberley rounds.

I am surprised by the contents as that does not look like South African packaging, even in WW2. I wonder if it is a post war re-pack? The inspection authority "ISAA" is British.

Interesting anyway.

Regards
    TonyE

4md
    ?

I think your right about a repackaging post war Tony, Its a nice surprise as I don't have any South African .303's

4md
    ?

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Paul you have done well with those pick ups!! Those ballistite rounds are bloody hard to find over here mate

Cheers Luke.

I think the guy I bought them off said they cant be sold in some states not sure if this is true

?

I have Australian Grenade discharger cartridges headstamped:
    MF 41 HIZ
    MH 43 HIZ
    MF 45 HIV

In addition to South African ball from both Pretoria and Kimberley from WW2 I also have the following loads:
    U (diamond) 42 GII - Tracer, also 1944
    U 1942 WI - Armour piercing
    U 1942 GII - Tracer
    U 39 VII - Drill D Mark VI type, also 1940
    U 45 VII - Wood bulleted blank

Of course, the one we are all looking for is the semi-armour piercing headstamped "FI" which was introduced when a batch of AP cores failed proof and was relegated to semi-AP status. I have only been looking for fifty years though!

Cheers
    TonyE