Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M39 egg grenade

Article about: I'm almost certain this grenade is good and all original, but wanted to make sure I had a good appraisal on it. Does anyone see anything I might be missing here? Thank you folks for your kno

looks a nice grenade.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    looks a nice grenade.
    Yep.... Thanks.

- - ------- - -

Oh My!!!!!
    Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    I found a case of them in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands. They were of a yellow colour. I left the case were it stood: in a bunker in the dunes.

I was actualy put off militaria in that week as my brother and I found a S-mine and took it into the hotel where we were staying. It was not appreciated by the management. We had to take it out again and get rid of it. We did.

Empty shell casings were not frowned upon.

Still my brother and I had a great summer in 1959. We even survived!

I should add my brother was 7 and I was of 10 years old at the time.

The luftwaffe dagger we found, I still have.

Cheers,
    Emile
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Wow, that's quite a find (and quite dangerous) for a 10 year old. I'm glad you had your wits about you not to mess with them.

I really envy you folks in Europe getting to visit these battlegrounds, and those in a position to look for relics and help make sure the forgotten fallen soldiers can be taken to a proper burial. I can only imagine how much the experience connects you to the events and brings them to life.

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    I found a case of them in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands. They were of a yellow colour. I left the case were it stood: in a bunker in the dunes.

I was actualy put off militaria in that week as my brother and I found a S-mine and took it into the hotel where we were staying. It was not appreciated by the management. We had to take it out again and get rid of it. We did.

Empty shell casings were not frowned upon.

Still my brother and I had a great summer in 1959. We even survived!

I should add my brother was 7 and I was of 10 years old at the time.

The luftwaffe dagger we found, I still have.

Cheers,
    Emile

Yes It is quite something for my children to hear these stories.

I moved to the area I was born after my working years and found the neighboring farmer still had 25 pdr casings that were fired from his yard to to the neighboring village during the fighting to liberate The Netherlands by the Highland Division in 1944. They would have been fired by SP's. He said his father saw tanks firing from his yard. Bishops?

Cheers,
    Emile

This grenade arrived today! Interesting to say the least. I've never held a grenade of any type before.

I'm going to post pictures here later tonight, but the first order of business is to verify 100% that this is inert and no danger. I have a kid in the house, and I just can't take any chances on previous assessments that it is without making sure myself. Can anyone help me with what to look for to verify it's been correctly rendered safe?

Thanks guys with any help you can offer on this. Safety is of top importance to me on acquiring these.

Edit: Looking inside, I discovered where someone has drilled a kidney bean sized hole into the wall that would have went around the detonator and fuse on the inside. I presume that was made to flush out the explosive? The body of the grenade isn't very heavy, it weighs 2.72 oz without the fuse screwed on. Put together, it weighs 3.64 oz.
    Last edited by avenger; 09-04-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Here are the in hand photos. On the last shot, I tried to get a look down inside the grenade's fuse slot. You can see a channel drilled into the inside of the grenade (the hole towards the bottom), and the metal kind of bent inward inside the detonator housing. Either the blue cap is not original to the grenade, or the fuse is not original as the string has the remnants of a fuse pull still attached to it. It doesn't look like these were made tied to the fuse pull, but looped through it, so I could easily just remove the remnant and loop it through the fuse on the grenade and nobody would ever tell the difference. The fuse cap and the grenade both are dated 1943, so they match pretty well otherwise.

I believe the grenade is probably fully inert since it's been drilled into, and weighs a lot less than the online 12oz figure for original weight. I don't know how they make these inert, but part of me still thinks it's never fully safe if there is any remaining explosive that wasn't removed. Though, research seems to indicate TNT (the main base of the mixture these were filled with) will turn to a syrup like liquid when heated, so maybe they heat them and drain them? It also sounds like TNT is pretty stable, and typically requires a detonator to explode, so there's less of a worry about spontaneous explosions than with old dynamite. That's probably more info than anyone wanted.

In any case, I'd still love to hear your thoughts on any considerations or other things to look for, as I want to be completely safe with this.

Hope you like it!

M39 egg grenade

M39 egg grenade

M39 egg grenade

M39 egg grenade

M39 egg grenade

M39 egg grenade

M39 egg grenade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2