Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Mills with strange retaining pin

Article about: Hereís a sectioned Mills Iíve had for a long time and have only really just looked at it. It seems to be a 'bits' Mills, the body is marked CC for Carron Comp. Falkirk, Scotland, the lever i

?

Default Mills with strange retaining pin

Hereís a sectioned Mills Iíve had for a long time and have only really just looked at it. It seems to be a 'bits' Mills, the body is marked CC for Carron Comp. Falkirk, Scotland, the lever is marked J.P. & S. (Josiah Parkes & Sons) and the base plug is dated Aug. 1918 whereas the centrepiece is either 1941 or 43.

It has remains of white paint, some Xís in red and the lever looks like it was green at some stage. Iíve no idea if itís an official educational Mills or if someone opened it up themselves. A copper tube acting as a det is present as is the percussion cap, both of which I somehow hadnít noticed until today.

It's the retaining pin I find strange, Iíve never seen one like this, it canít be removed unless the bit bent up is straightened which must have been done after fitting it, and I always thought original Mills pull rings were solid and not the key ring type as shown in the photos.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151124_13_19_37_Pro.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	911619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151124_13_17_10_Pro.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	911618  

The Safety Pin, (correct term!) is a modern smoke grenade pin.

It is marked correctly for Baratol as would be expected for a No36M but a picture of the internal components would be useful.

I remember that type of "pin" from my own time in the army... and I am not that old.

It is a fairly recent addition to the grenade in my opinion.
    The only type of pin I have seen on a mills, is the solid type.

But nice and iconic grenade. It is a pity we are not allowed to own non-mutilated version in Denmark
    Πόλεμος πάντων μεν πατήρ εστί, πάντων δε βασιλεύς.

?

Thanks for the replies.

I've just been doing some searching and found this No36 Mk1 Grenades the bottom right picture calls it a quick recocking training grenade but not sure if that refers to the pin or the grenade in general.

The internals are pictured but as already mentioned, I believe it's made from spares so whether correctly or incorrectly marked as a No.36M doesn't really worry me. It's possible it was marked up by a previous owner.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151124_13_16_47_Pro.jpg 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	911632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151124_13_18_17_Pro.jpg 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	911633  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151124_13_19_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	315.1 KB 
ID:	911634  

The No36M has been modified as an Inert Instructional. Probably around 1940 as an piece to train the Home Guard. A lot of different regional variations occur from that time as there were not sufficient 'Official' aids within the system and it was deemed necessary to out source there manufacture to meet the urgent demand.

?

Thanks a lot for the info, makes it much more interesting than I thought. A pity the pin is a later replacement.

Tony

?

The pin looks more like belgian service .