Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk.2 A1 Frag. markings

Article about: Hey, On the side of the body is an marking. This could be an B, A, I... But what does it mean? It is halve way the body. Thank you

Default Mk.2 A1 Frag. markings

Hey,

On the side of the body is an marking. This could be an B, A, I... But what does it mean?

It is halve way the body.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images Mk.2 A1 Frag. markings 
    Last edited by DarkEagle; 08-11-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Default Re: Mk.2 A1 Frag. markings

No one knows why there si an marking on the side?. Hmm strange..

Quote by DarkEagle View Post
    Hey,

On the side of the body is an marking. This could be an B, A, I... But what does it mean?

It is halve way the body.

Thank you

Hi Dark Eagle, I missed this post, or you would have got an answer sooner.....The markings on your grenade body are the manufacturers "casting marks" It looks like yours is maybe marked "AF" possibly, it is hard to tell from picture and the condition of the paint.
    If it is "AF", this is "American Fireworks company", one of the many makers of grenade bodies in WW2.
    "American Fireworks" is one of the few "Known" manufacturers. There are other grenades I have had and seen marked "AA" "AB" "AR" and a couple others that have an "A" & another letter.
    The casting marks are usually always in the same general area, as you say "It is halve way the body" Sometimes there is also a Number, or Two Numbers on the opposite side or same side, or around the neck, and these numbers would be the "Lot" number.

There were many makers of US "pineapple" grenade bodies in WW2, not sure of how many exactly, maybe 50 or more, and most are not know who the makers were, just a few like yours, if indeed an AF grenade.
    ......Hope this helped you.

Regards, Steve
    P.S. What is the fuze marked on your grenade? if it has one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk.2 A1 Frag. markings   Mk.2 A1 Frag. markings  

Woh, Nice display you got there.

The grenade is not mine because we cant have any here in the Netherlands.

Realy like youre grenades..

Hi,Thanks. OK, no problem, I was just going to tell you about fuze if you had a pic, but you don't.

Regards, Steve

In the Netherlands u may only own a grenade when a part of it is missing.
    If a section is removed from the body so it can't be "used" again.

cheers,

?

Newbie here, but if it is an A.F.,its the maker code ....it was made by american fireworks corp,in toledo ohio. U.S.A.

Quote by colrbh View Post
    Newbie here, but if it is an A.F.,its the maker code ....it was made by american fireworks corp,in toledo ohio. U.S.A.
    Hello Newbie colrbh?? yes you are correct, and If you read down to post #3, I have already mentioned this 'AF" American fireworks. It's one of the few that are known. Thank's though, at least you read the first post, and are trying to help & share info.

Regards, Steve