MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..

Article about: Enjoy this rare box of Dutch Cartridges...Ammo for the Dutch East Indies Colonial Police Revolver cal. 10.4mm..Marking on the box are P.S. Nr. 3. Patroon Scherp Number 3, .....P.W. 2-41 Pyro

Default For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..

Enjoy this rare box of Dutch Cartridges...Ammo for the Dutch East Indies Colonial Police Revolver cal. 10.4mm..Marking on the box are P.S. Nr. 3. Patroon Scherp Number 3, .....P.W. 2-41 Pyrotechniche Werkplants Soerabaja (Surabaja,Indonesia) 33 in a circle Plant 33, and date of mfg. Feb.1941.. Soon the Dutch East Indies would fall to the Japanese who surely put the 10.4mm cartridges and Pistols to use with the occupation forces... The box of ctgs. are unopen and sealed with heavy wax paper....BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Johnnie
    ?

Default Re: For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..

Bill you never cease to amaze me with the rare items you have! You should honestly open a small museum! You would get a LOT of visitors!

Cheers,
    Johnnie

Hello Bill,
    What makes you think the Dutch East Indies Police revolver was of 10,4 mm?

To my knowledge this ex-army and later Police revolver (M91) had a calibre of 9,4 mm.

Amazing you have a box of this ammo in your collection! Great!

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Hello Bill,
    What makes you think the Dutch East Indies Police revolver was of 10,4 mm?

To my knowledge this ex-army and later Police revolver (M91) had a calibre of 9,4 mm.

Amazing you have a box of this ammo in your collection! Great!

Cheers,
    Emile
    Here are some excerpts form Gun Collectors Digest an article on Dutch East Indies 10mm Revolver... by Bob Steindler circ. 1974.. Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..   For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..  

"As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

mMy reference book states the Dutch service revolver is 9.4mm while the Dutch East Indies revolver is 10.4mm
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi all,

I include a scan of a page from "Die Militärrevolver der Niederlande" by H.E.Harder and W.A.Dreschler, Bataafsche Leeuw Amsterdam 1998.

One scan is in German, the other two are in English. The first one, page 211, mentions Erlmeier-Brandt (Band 1, 1967) and states that a 10 mm Soerabaja Cartridge never existed. The revolver cartridge as used in the M73 and M91 in The Netherlands and its colonies was of one calibre, 9,4 mm.

Cheers,
    Emile

Unhappy Re: For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..

I can't upload this scan. Anyone knows how to?

Emile

Well trying again.

I would like to add that the designation Nr. 3 relates to revolver cartridge as used in the M91 revolver. It is not the plant Nr. 3.

In the lead bullet you might be able to discern two digits. They indicate the year of manufacture.

During the early war years the plant in Soerabaja even used cut rifle casings as revolver cartridge cases.

The M91 revolver was phased out of use in the colonial army (KNIL) around 1927 when issue of the M11 pistol (Parabellum 9mm, like the Lueger P08 but with a grip safety) was completed. The M91 stayed on in Police service.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..   For my friends in Holland a Rare box of ctgs..  

Great information thanks for sharing...BILL