Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My little old 8.8

Article about: Far out I never knew about the driving bands stamped like that, thank you for sharing. Wow I would have loved to have been around when they were parting ways with them for scrap, seriously I

Nice looking shell. Wish I had one of that size in my collection.

?

Thanks guys. Wow now that is a mind blowing collection, this is the direction my partner is worried about me headed in. I have a well marked second 43/41 case coming in with the C/22st in place and will in time locate an HE projectile and plonk my AZ23/28 on it, she is already shaking her head.... Yes I did read these 43/41s are a wee bit of a touch and go to empty or just blow it up. I've had a good run of late. I couldn't find any C/22st to save myself and now I'll have a few spare with 6 located in the last month, 2 being unstruck. I was at one point a big helmet collector but now these 8,8s are the only thing that really interest me, I need some sleep some time soon.
    It is a funny thing just before I got on here to read about making these look a little better I looked at mine and thought yuck and started running a scotch brite over them, it's a start ;-) I'm absolutely impressed with yours, top job =)
    You know I sit back and laugh at my early posting of this thread because I really did not have a clue about these 8,8s and you guys have taught me so much. =)

?

Well the Kwk43 round was a fail, they have no sense of humour in Germany and it got turned around and sent back. However I'm not one to give up looking else where. I currently have two 43 cases now and a third with bag is about to get here. All have markings 1,2,3 etc with the C/22st in place on all. I also have located two Pzgr 39/43 AP tops in original paint that are on their way soon. One case has been crushed while stored in the steel cylinder by the looks so it can remain without a top. By the time two are complete they will owe me $1180usd each so I'm real happy about that. I also have coming a Flak 18 with a C/12 in place with it's original AP top but it's the small AP like on my 75mm . I will put some pictures of them up when it all arrives. My little old 88 certainly got out of hand.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My little old 8.8  

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is Bad Ass!!!!!!
    I would love to have one of those sitting in the corner of my war room!!!!
    Thanks for sharing those pic!!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    I second that Phil it would make a display piece.Thanks for all the info & sharing. Cheers Terry

?

I'm sorry to hear that Rob, I ran across the same problem. "they have no sense of humour in Germany"
    Who would have thought!!!!
    I tried to see if I could get some .50 cal ammo from the wreckage of my Uncle's B17 that was shot down on April 13th 1944 and was found by an AWESOME new friend of mine(Who I meet on this GREAT site) who lives in the area where the B17 Crashed. He had found rounds by metal detecting BUT, Due to some Krieg waffen BLAHBLAH BLAH laws they have, they cannot be shipped outside of Germany..

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Wow don't give up on them with that kind of family connection. It is a shame, yet it's totally legal to buy & sell within. From what I understand it is possible to get a permit to let them out. I'm unsure who does them but that's what I've been told from over there. The part that really bites was that Kwk had a history behind it, never mind I hope who ever gets it looks after it. I had an email this morning offering me a another AP Kwk43 from else where so I'm waiting to hear back for a price then I might round the collection off at that.

?

Quote by Rob L View Post
    I also have coming a Flak 18 with a C/12 in place with it's original AP top but it's the small AP like on my 75mm .
    Just in case you aren't aware, that 'small' AP projectile is the same penetrator as that in the usual type, but someone realized that the incredible forces involved in an impact of these larger rounds (notice the 3,7cm is still this shape) can simply shatter it, so it needs a cap to absorb some of the shock, and an aerodynamic ballistic cap improves the flight; that's why the type has the modern designation APCBC- armour-piercing, capped, ballistic capped. It's my understanding that only very early on were the uncapped projectiles still made and in use; so technically one on a 7,5cm KwK 40 cartridge is probably incorrect- unless it's actually a damaged round that somehow lost its caps.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Hey Matt. Thank you for that info. I thought it looked strange. I've google imaged to try and find another like it but come up with nothing. She runs a C/22st that is well and truly corroded in place and does not appear to have had a cap on top. I have no history with where it was found just one I pick up out of the UK. Here is a picture of the Flak 18 on it's way. The C/12st is also corroded in place and this one was dug up in Poland only recently as a matched pair.

?

Here's the other Kwk43 I just got offered. I've got it on hold till the other two make it here.

?

Will look good after a little cleaning, Im sure.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast