Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help identifying a bullet

Article about: "Gun fires gun fires gun stops" Ain't got the same ring to it has it Steve With a magazine of rounds Load! with a magazine of bullets Load! See there is a difference xx

Default Re: Need help identifying a bullet

"Gun fires gun fires gun stops"

Ain't got the same ring to it has it Steve
    With a magazine of rounds Load!
    with a magazine of bullets Load!

See there is a difference xx

Let battle commence...........

Gun - 1. a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanical attachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive.
    2. any portable firearm, as a rifle, shotgun, or revolver.
    3. a long-barreled cannon having a relatively flat trajectory.

Weapon - 1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
    2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.

Rifle - 1. a shoulder firearm with spiral grooves cut in the inner surface of the gun barrel to give the bullet a rotatory motion and thus a more precise trajectory.
    2. one of the grooves.
    3. a cannon with such grooves.

From these definitions one could contend that a weapon could imply any instrument or device used in combat, not necessarily a 'gun' in the purest sense of the term. However, I do accept that the common parlance in military circles may well dictate that 'weapon' is used instead of 'gun'. This being the case, I did indeed need to be corrected, but I would contend that the use of the term 'gun' in a piece of descriptive writing for a relatively inexperienced person, will effect a better understanding of the point I was trying to make.

So there.

Well if you called it a gun in my squad, I'd still kick you up the arse! x

And what about a glue gun?

LOL!

Indeed.....but could a pointy stick not be called a weapon, or a glue gun for that matter.......nasty burns inflicted in the wrong hands.

This could go on for years so, to prevent the total hijacking of this thread, I shall bow to your greater experience and strive to avoid the use of the word 'gun' in future.

What about a Bren GUN, or indeed a Vickers Machine GUN...both could have fired the .303 cartridge CASE in question. So GUN,,, not incorrect here.

?

(insert popcorn munching icon here).

I seem to recall many years ago a fellow recruit being threatened by our skill at arms instructor with having his arm ripped off and being beaten about the head with the soggy end if he referred to his rifle as a gun once more. Rifleman has a ring to it that Gunman does not.

(Sits next to Scout, smiles, helps himself to popcorn and waits for Mr Brandon's reply)

?

The military term of 'gun when used in the context of gun firing gun firing gun stops, was mainly to simplify for the benefit of recruits whilst on skill at arms training, My SAA instructor always used the term 'weapon firing etc,whether this became a personal term for different A/instructors is a matter of conjecture,but I always used weapon or rifle when explaining. Gun , to me, always related to artillery but that's just the way we were taught, ' a magazine of however many ROUNDS was the correct term to be used, ie, live rounds, drill rounds,blank rounds etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2