Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

need i.d help on crete finds please

Article about: gday, i picked these up on crete on a northern beach and am trying to identify them if anyone can help that would be great. the bullet appears to be 12mm wide, the end of the shell casing is

?

Default need i.d help on crete beach ordnance finds please

gday, i picked these up on crete on a northern beach and am trying to identify them if anyone can help that would be great.
    the bullet appears to be 12mm wide, the end of the shell casing is 29mm there are no markings left unfortunately. the bullet appears to have a steel core and the shape of the bullet is curved as it appears to have hit something.

Last edited by rnzaf; 07-13-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Default Re: need i.d help on crete finds please

Your cartridge looks like a 20mm. The extraction mark on the rim is exactly the same as those I see on spent 20mm rounds found in the UK. The spent bullet looks like a 50cal but it's late at night and I can't think straight so it may not be I'll have another look when my brain registers measurements properly

Steve T

Default Re: need i.d help on crete beach ordnance finds please

Quote by rnzaf View Post
    gday, i picked these up on crete on a northern beach and am trying to identify them if anyone can help that would be great.
    the bullet appears to be 12mm wide, the end of the shell casing is 29mm there are no markings left unfortunately. the bullet appears to have a steel core and the shape of the bullet is curved as it appears to have hit something.

Hi there rnzaf...
    Nice finds...
    Which part of Crete did you find them ?
    The slug must be .50 cal HBMG. The length and the steel core suggest it.
    Regards, Thanos.

?

gday thanos, they came from the beach near the maleme airfield, i was surprised to find them as it was an area where many people over the years must have walked, i suppose soil erosion must have played a part of it as they were where the soil meets the stones. they were within a metre of each other.

Hi there rnzaf... Very good...
    I'm sure that if you look closely enough, you will find more, as the Maleme airfield was a heavy battle area, together with all the landing zones in Northern Crete. Fierce battles were fought between the RNZs, British troops and Royal Greek Army together with cretan civilians and the mighty German Fallschirmjaeger.
    Great...great...
    Regards, Thanos.