Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help Identifying this bomb.

Article about: It looks very similar to this........... http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ordina.../bomb-id-6875/ ......which was ID'd as a very old RFC practice bomb. The more I look at it, the more it looks

Default Need some help Identifying this bomb.

A little history of this item first. My Father bought this at a garage sale many years ago from an older gentleman. He brought it home and it has sat in a closet for another 20 or so years before I stumbled upon it again. When I started taking a closer look I found that the paper tag on the tail of the bomb had Japanese writing on it. So, I'm really curious to see if anyone knows anything about it and what to look for to make sure it is inert. I doubt it is live as it's been handled but I would like to be sure. Ok, the pictures.

?

Default Re: Need some help Identifying this bomb.

If you are from the US, then maybe it could be one of those bombs that was sent in on the mainland hanging under a rice paper balloon. Just a guess. Quite a number of those did not detonate.

If so, it might just be a live one

Nothing would make me think this is anything other than live. You need to get it checked very quickly. Kept it well away from your house, family and neighbours until then.

Steve T

?

Explosives and detonators get very unstable over the years.

?

Im with the others on this, its one of the strange things about old ordnance they look perfectly harmless and have been handled on numerous occasions until the damn thing decides its time to go OFF, I think the opinion about the ballon bombs that used the jetstream to overfly the mainland United States and then release may have some credence here, they were very simply made as is this one to reduce weight and its true that many failed to explode on release or came down to earth with a deflating balloon, i would be treating this as live until checked
    These weapons were known as Fugo balloons, they carried an anti personal main bomb and two smaller thermite bombs, only 6 people were known to have been killed when they found one in a tree and it exploded when trying to pull it down, the thermite bombs were designed to set alight the forests of mainland USA, it could be that you have one of the thermite bombs although they tended to be slightly larger at 5lb weight
    Last edited by davejb; 11-16-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: additional info

?

Yes. This is a very light weight construction. Just look at the thin fins. I have not been able to find a pic of the balloon bombs though.

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Yes. This is a very light weight construction. Just look at the thin fins. I have not been able to find a pic of the balloon bombs though.
    Thats because there arent many, the US gov didn't openly admit that the japanese had been trying to bomb us from afar!

Hope this helps.

Need some help Identifying this bomb.
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Could still be interesting to get an exact ID on this device.

SunsetIE. What is on the tip of the bomb? It looks to be some kind of soft compound. Looks weird.

i dont know, its not mine lol!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast