Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

No. 199 Shell Fuse

Article about: Hello folks. This one was a lucky eBay pickup. This particular type of fuse isn't the rarest, but it is certainly desirable, particularly among collectors of Home Front items. What I have he

Default No. 199 Shell Fuse

Hello folks.

This one was a lucky eBay pickup. This particular type of fuse isn't the rarest, but it is certainly desirable, particularly among collectors of Home Front items. What I have here is a nice, complete example of the No. 199 fuse. These were fixed to the shells fired by the 3.7-inch 'Ack-Ack' gun, commonly deployed in an anti-aircraft role across Britain during the Second World War. These are somewhat unique among British fuses, as they feature a bakelite nose cone rather than being made entirely of brass.

This appears to be a relic that has been cleaned up. The date of '42' is very faintly visible on the upper ring. There is also a '45' marking on the inside of the nose cone, though I am not sure if this is a date or some other factory marking.

Unlike most, which have seized up with age, this one can be fully disassembled. It is interesting to be able to view the internal components of these fuses. Very complex devices for something that would only be used once!

No. 199 Shell FuseNo. 199 Shell FuseNo. 199 Shell FuseNo. 199 Shell Fuse

Regards, B.B.

?

Very nice Brodie. I have always found British fuses to look more complicated than German fuses.

And that’s saying something!

All you need now is the projectile and casing

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Very nice Brodie. I have always found British fuses to look more complicated than German fuses.

And that’s saying something!

All you need now is the projectile and casing
    Finding the fuse was hard enough!

B.B.

Default Fuse 88mm

On the subject of fuses here is my 88mm 1942 one pretty sure it is for a flak round the inner workings of the timing mechanism are very detailed & interesting to look at.
    Its not in the best of condition but one has to get what one can as they are not a common item down under.
    I also procured a bakerlite fuse holder for it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 199 Shell Fuse   No. 199 Shell Fuse  

No. 199 Shell Fuse   No. 199 Shell Fuse  

No. 199 Shell Fuse   No. 199 Shell Fuse  

Thanks for showing your fuses guys. They are fascinating. Wish I had one.

Jay

4md
    ?

Nice Fuze, very desirable and hard to find in these parts. There is still a gun on display in our town which was used to defend the ship yard during ww2. I would love to have a full 3.7 round as they are impressive. I have only managed to get a 1944 dated case so far.

regards Paul