Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Now what did I buy?

Article about: Thanks for your input dogdog.

Default Re: Now what did I buy?

Thanks for your input dogdog.

?

Quote by klinger View Post
    next time give us a bit more details
    He did- it seems folks missed the very last statement from the original posting:

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    It demined by the way.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    He did- it seems folks missed the very last statement from the original posting:
    your right, I went back & read it again, guess I was starting to look at it & missed that last sentence.

?

look like a french one , see this one is a 37-85 maxim one.
    i guess yours only longer and has a timefuze but looks french enough for me.
    take the diameter and we know more....i had simular 37mm with long body but without the timer fuze
    QF 1 pounder pom-pom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    its french:

Lyddite
    ?

Hi Feuerbach,
    I would be very interested in finding out what your round is as i have not seen anything like it before that is that sort of size, it looks at a guess to be about 25mm. And a nice collection of 37mm's you have there Gerrit, i have a bit of a passion for these rounds amongst others.
    Best regards Lyddite.

Thank you Gerrit. My grenade is 35mm (37mm with the copper bands) x 133mm. The timer runs up to number 16. No markings on the brass detonater. Maybe there are some markings on the steel grenade body itself, but it has been painted, so I can't see any if there are any.
    My best guess is that its French too, nice collection you have by the way.

?

37mm rapid fire guns were very common in europe, they were made by Maxim, Hotckiss and Krupp, all major players in the gun branche'.
    Germany:3.7cm Grabenkanone - literally 'trench gun'. Designed by Krupp, utilising 'offspring of the old five-barrelled Gruson revolving guns
    Hotchkiss in France
    a lot of other country's used the Maxim 1 pounder design.

Sorry i forgot to mention that the headstamp i showed was a France Hotchkiss:
    37x94R 37mm Hotchkiss Revolver- and Rapid-Loading Gun.
    It had also amo with time fuzes, see the page below:
    From 37mm to 40mm - The Russian Ammunition Page

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Picked this little grenade up yesterday from a car boot sale. It has no markings I can find, except from the timing devise on the detonator. Think its wwI by the look of it, possibly German. I paid 2 euros for it, so thats not to bad. There where some other artifacts floating about, but nothing really exciting enough to buy. Saw a German canteen bottle without the cover, gasmask holders without the webbing belts, a German white jacket that was supposed to be from a Infirmer but I didn't trust the marking on it. It said HM instead of HV (Heeres Verplegung) so I left it.
    Anybody have a clue what this little grenade could be? It demined by the way.
    The driving band is scored with tell tale rifling grooves indicating a fired projectile-but dud rounds (rounds that were fired but failed to detonate) were common and are more dangerous than unfired live rounds for obvious reasons. I notice youve since found its empty which is good, as for an id need to have the diameter and length of the projectile in mm plus any markings, though it looks 20-30mm to me. Will be interesting to find out what this is and im sure one of the members will soon tell you what youve got there.

?

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    The driving band is scored with tell tale rifling grooves indicating a fired projectile-but dud rounds (rounds that were fired but failed to detonate) were common and are more dangerous than unfired live rounds for obvious reasons. I notice youve since found its empty which is good, as for an id need to have the diameter and length of the projectile in mm plus any markings, though it looks 20-30mm to me. Will be interesting to find out what this is and im sure one of the members will soon tell you what youve got there.
    he posted that already
    Thank you Gerrit. My grenade is 35mm (37mm with the copper bands) x 133mm. The timer runs up to number 16. No markings on the brass detonater. Maybe there are some markings on the steel grenade body itself, but it has been painted, so I can't see any if there are any.
    My best guess is that its French too, nice collection you have by the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2