Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?

Article about: So, is the term cartridge case applicable at all,or do I have to buy the beer and popcorn?.....Pete.

dunandali23
    ?

Default An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?

An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?

any info on this shell would be much appreciated.

Default Re: An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?

Can you measure the diameter of the shell? The crow's foot markings would make it a British shell, and of course it is from 1945

EDIT: Missed the marking in the first picture, looks like "25 PR MK2" which means that the shell comes from a 25 Pounder:
    Ordnance QF 25 pounder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd still like a picture of the whole shell, if that is possible.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

If you Google British 25 Pdr you can find info on it.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Yup, the Internet is wonderful for finding obscure things just from a snippet of information- if you'd just searched for the very basic marking there '25 PR Mk 2' you'd have found it immediately I'm continually amazed at what I can find with the least data...

And that's not a shell, it's a case; a shell is the explosive-filled projectile. Shells explode, cases just hold propellant
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Yup, the Internet is wonderful for finding obscure things just from a snippet of information- if you'd just searched for the very basic marking there '25 PR Mk 2' you'd have found it immediately I'm continually amazed at what I can find with the least data...)
    LOL ! Made me laugh that did

And that's not a shell, it's a case; a shell is the explosive-filled projectile. Shells explode, cases just hold propellant
    <-----nods in agreement

Its actually a Cartridge

Rob

?

Is not a cartridge a loaded round,whereas this one is empty and would be a cartridge case?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Is not a cartridge a loaded round,whereas this one is empty and would be a cartridge case?
    OK, fair enough, if you want to be really technical, its a Cartridge Case and a Primer, and yes, a complete cartridge would also have three charge bags and one or two leatherboard cups

Rob

HANG ON !!!! I want to get a glass of beer and some popcorn so I can watch this debate in comfort.

?

Got your beer and popcorn to hand, because it gets more complicated than that!

In modern (post 1950s) British nomenclature it is only a "cartridge" if it does not have a projectile. That 25pr is a cartridge because although a QF it is separate loading. If the projectile was fixed to the case it would be a "Round".

This even applies to small arms ammo. There are two L1A1 designations for British 7.62mm NATO, one for the Grenade discharger cartridge and one for the Drill round. This is not a mistake as some writers have stated, because since the grenade discharger cartridge does not have a bullet it is "Cartridge 7.62mm Rifle Grenade L1A1", whilst the Drill does have a bullet and therefore is "Round 7.62mm Drill L1A1".

Ready for that second beer now?

Cheers
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast