Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55

Article about: A couple more old-timers...and then I shall disappear,like a phantom into the mist..

?

Default Re: An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Funny looking bunch. I will guess they are from the Netherlands?

Regards, Lars
    Hi Lars,the label is in German and says for manovers or exercise,and they are made by DAG,so I think they are German?.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

You are most likely right, but the ones we used for the H&K G3 was real brass blanks of a different construction. I could collect the fired blanks and sell them to guys reloading .44's if i remember right The brass was a little thinner than the hot rounds.

?

They are German military as can be seen by the German designation of DM28A2 on the label. It is quite possible though that are also used by the Dutch as well.

Datrus - Most brass long case blanks have thinner case walls than the normal ball rounds. This is simply for reasons of economy as the case does not have to bear the pressure of a full power round. In British service the L13A1 blank which replaced the L10A2 blank had thinner case walls.

These thin walled cases make it easier to cut them down for conversion to other calibres as you mention.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

Quote by TonyE View Post
    They are German military as can be seen by the German designation of DM28A2 on the label. It is quite possible though that are also used by the Dutch as well.

Datrus - Most brass long case blanks have thinner case walls than the normal ball rounds. This is simply for reasons of economy as the case does not have to bear the pressure of a full power round. In British service the L13A1 blank which replaced the L10A2 blank had thinner case walls.

These thin walled cases make it easier to cut them down for conversion to other calibres as you mention.

Regards
    TonyE
    Yes of course mate. Most things in the army is/was about money It also makes sense, keeping in mind that there must have been fired millions of those rounds. It looks like zwerge's round are made up of two parts. A case and a aluminum lower part.

What's the funny looking round you have in your avatar on the far right?

Regards, Lars

?

Not many people will know what that is!

It is a .303 inch Machine Gun Blank Mark I for Vickers guns. It was introduced in 1913 and used a special restricted barrel to give normal functioning of the gun. To prevent live ball rounds being fed by accident the shoulder of the chamber was shortened. It was not very successful and only lasted a year or so in service. They are extremely hard to find.

Here is a better picture. The headstamp is "R^L 13 VII"

Regards
    TonyE
    Attached Images Attached Images An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55 
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

One of the more odd rounds i have seen together with some of zwerges. Sound like a expensive solution with a special barrel.

On the G3 and M1 Garand we just screwed on a blank firing amplifier. If screwed on turning it only one turn it would fly hundred of meters On the MG62/MG42 it was the same solution. I was gunner on that Will always love the MG62.

?

A box of `51 dated 7.62x25 ammo,I got the whole 40 round box for $5.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55   An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  

An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

An 5.6x57 by RWS.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  
    Attached Images Attached Images An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55 
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Yet another odd looking round. What the story on this round? A hunting round, hence the flat nose? I must be a serious high velocity round.

Regards, Lars

?

Here`s the info from COTW.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast