Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions needed on No 69 grenade

Article about: Hi, Ive been offered this Drill Purpose No.69 grenade. Sorry for picture quality as thats the only one ive been sent. Do you think it is original, seller says its dated 1940 and made from ba

Default Opinions needed on No 69 grenade

Hi, Ive been offered this Drill Purpose No.69 grenade. Sorry for picture quality as thats the only one ive been sent. Do you think it is original, seller says its dated 1940 and made from bakelite. if possible, can anyone tell me the current value of these?

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed on No 69 grenade  

?

Default Re: Opinions needed on No 69 grenade

Seems to be MS Paint inspired for me mate! I'm not sure, would grenades have been made from bakelite? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will be able to inform you though!

I don't like it at all and I am pretty familiar with these. These have been faked for a good 10 years or more now.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Sorry. i cant seem to see replies even though it says i have 2?

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I don't like it at all and I am pretty familiar with these. These have been faked for a good 10 years or more now.

Cheers, Ade.
    Does that help mate?

DioMac: yes these were made from "plastic".

British Hand Grenade No.69, WWI - Inert-Ord.Net

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the info. Probably saved me from making a rash move.

?

Very good mate.

When you are collecting WW2 material, always think in the back of your mind - does it look like it could have been used in WW2? In this case, it looks like it's received a a dose of spray paint.

If unsure, ask here, which it is good that you have done

@Ade

Well I never....Thanks Ade!

Always great to learn something new each day!

A friend of mine made legit copies for fellow re-enactors, but others have since made them for more nefarious means.

A very large quantity of these were found buried on a farm here in the UK some years ago.

Cheers, Ade.

DioMac-hand grenades have been made from many different materials over the years for different reasons-tempered glass, ceramic, wood (usually as a result of material shortages) and even solid explosive milled to accept a fuse (the German 'Nipolit' grenades)-the British Gammon grenade was a fuse attached to a muslin bag that could be filled with HE to form a semi improvised grenade to reduce the load a soldier had to carry in the assault-the No.69 could be fitted with a cast iron sleeve over the top to make it into a more usual fragmentation grenade rather than a largely HE blast one-there is no end to the deviousness of the military mind when it comes to making weapons...