Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ordnance found in garden

Article about: Evening all my friend found 3 of this in his garden today the bomb disposal unit came and took them away they said they were dead after they went he carried on digging he found another one,

Default ordnance found in garden

Evening all my friend found 3 of this in his garden today the bomb disposal unit came and took them away they said they were dead after they went he carried on digging he found another one, does anyone know what sort of round it is?? Sorry this is the only picture I have that he sent me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ordnance found in garden  

Greetings,

Looks like a WWI Era French 37mm cannon's round. See posts #6 and #7 here. Help to ID shells

Regards,

Lance

Thanks for the help

?

WOW! Was your friends house built on an old training facility? A great but scary thing to find in your garden.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

It could be possible! I was thinking the same thing!

?

Just viewing this, I would suspect that the filler charge would at least still be in this shell.
    Do NOT count it as "Dead" ..
    Let the Bomb disposal people make the call on this item.

Cheers

Gary J.

It looks very much like a Mk.1 Steel shell for a British QF 1-pounder 'pom-pom' used during the Boer War and into WW1 as a Naval and anti-aircraft gun. This would fit if you're in the Southampton/Portsmouth area. The advice given above is sound : it looks suspiciously 'live' to me - the propellant may still be in the case and the shell itself frequently carried an explosive or tracer element.

Don't keep it.

It was found in Fareham half way between southampton and Portsmouth I've told my friend to call the bomb disposal up again for them to collect it, thanks for the info guys

Quote by Panzer trooper View Post
    It was found in Fareham
    Almost certainly a Naval gun, which would make sense. If your friend is sorry to lose it, deacts turn up fairly often at militaria fairs for about £25........

I've got a few of these, lots of them around and this one looks like a French round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast