Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzerfaust

Article about: Well, we got called out on this little guy not too long ago. Thought you all might appreciate some pictures. Can anyone positively ID this thing even with all the rust? I'm assuming a 60 or

sk82712
    ?

Default Panzerfaust

Well, we got called out on this little guy not too long ago. Thought you all might appreciate some pictures.

Can anyone positively ID this thing even with all the rust? I'm assuming a 60 or 100.

-Adam

and the flickr set: Panzerfaust - a set on Flickr
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerfaust  

Default Re: Panzerfaust

Hello, when you say called out.... are you bomb disposal or is this a personal thing?

sk82712
    ?

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    Hello, when you say called out.... are you bomb disposal or is this a personal thing?
    Bomb disposal, note the ACU's in the first picture. Haha.

I beleive these were made with an inverted cone of copper inside them, so when the charge when off the copper was super heated, and would penetrate armor up to 6 inches thick.

They work the same way the EFP's ( Explosive Formed Projectile ) , road side bombs, also called IED's in Iraq, My hummer in Iraq was taken out in Iraq by one of these shaped copper cone charges, Thank God we had an Rhino on the front of our Hummvee, or i would not be typing this right now.

Really nasty little buggers..

Brian

Quote by sk82712 View Post
    Bomb disposal, note the ACU's in the first picture. Haha.

Yep, US Army ACU's, probably an EOD unit stationed in Germany.

Brian

sk82712
    ?

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    I beleive these were made with an inverted cone of copper inside them, so when the charge when off the copper was super heated, and would penetrate armor up to 6 inches thick.

They work the same way the EFP's ( Explosive Formed Projectile ) , road side bombs, also called IED's in Iraq, My hummer in Iraq was taken out in Iraq by one of these shaped copper cone charges, Thank God we had an Rhino on the front of our Hummvee, or i would not be typing this right now.

Really nasty little buggers..

Brian
    I hear that. I'm Army EOD. And panzerfausts are HEAT rounds, they work on a similar concept as EFPs though.

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Yep, US Army ACU's, probably an EOD unit stationed in Germany.

Brian
    Nailed it. haha

-Adam

Quote by sk82712 View Post
    I hear that. I'm Army EOD. And panzerfausts are HEAT rounds, they work on a similar concept as EFPs though.

Nailed it. haha

-Adam
    I was on my 3rd tour in Iraq, We got hit just north of Baghdad, heading to LSA Balad one night, it was one of those EFP's.

I did convoy ops all 3 tours, and we was always updated on the various types of IED's they was using, and they would compare the EFP's, to the Panzerfaust.

Really nasty items, like i said if it wasnt for the Rhino, i would not be typing this right now....

So, now I'm 100% service connected through the VA.

Brian

Hi Adam,
    They're great pictures thanks for posting. Did you destroy it in situ?, I can't tell from the pictures was it still in its launch tube unfired or was it just the war head.
    Cheers again
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

You're right Adam- it's a Panzerfaust 60m or possibly 100m- the difference is internal and so far as I recall is only discernable externally by the position of the small screw on the underside of the tube that secures the projecting charge (it's further to the rear in the 100m because of the larger charge). Actually, do I see the wooden 'tail' there? If there's no tube and it's just the grenade, there's definitely no way to tell which weapon it was- the grenade is identical; the printed directions on it would tell which Panzerfaust it was, but clearly the surface is corroded badly.

I guess it's no surprise these are still found- something like 4 million were manufactured IIRC...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thumbs up Re: Panzerfaust

Thank you for the pic's and your Service to our Great Nation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast