Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panzerschreck rocket connector

Article about: Hi all, For all the rockets and kistas and parts I've seen for the schreck AND the GREAT restauration Bjorn did on the firing mechanism of the schrek, I have seen NOTHING on the wood connect

?

Default Panzerschreck rocket connector

Hi all,
    For all the rockets and kistas and parts I've seen for the schreck AND the GREAT restauration Bjorn did on the firing mechanism of the schrek, I have seen NOTHING on the wood connector of the rocket to the launcher !!!!!!!!! Does anyone have any of these they've dug up ? For all the rockets launched there must have been as many of these parts left behind. The interest is mechanical details of metal contactor, how it was soldered, and the tape that kept it attached to the rocket. Anything would be appreciated.

YOU BETCHA !!!!!!!!!

Best Regards,
    Bill

?

Default Re: Panzerschreck rocket connector

Hi all,
    I think I will bump this up by starting an attempt to answer my own question. Today I came across an archive on another forum with a thread by someone wanting to know the same thing. There was no conclusion but in another thread about the Ardenne Military Museum in Luxemburg there wer pictures posted of their excellent collection that had three Panzerschreck rockets with what looked like the wood block connectors attached to the tails. I have sent them an email asking about those wood blocks. Maybe some member will be going there and can get some detailed pictures.
    Thanks,
    Bill

In the pictures it is the rocket above the launcher and the two rockets in the box below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00034%20%28Medium%29.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	211938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01564.jpg 
Views:	2639 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	211937  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bild30.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	211936  

?

Here's what I'm talking about, a picture that shows a firing pit with a team loading a schreck with another rocket. I say another because nearby, lower right, is the wood block connector with the transport tape on it from a previous rocket waiting for someone 67 yrs from then waiting to be found. http://www.ullsteinbild.de./photodat...w/00281715.jpg How many of you folks have come across firing pits ? Those connectors are out there waiting to be found. Well, one can only hope.
    Thanks, Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images  

?

All RIGHT !,

I'm finally getting some results from my inquirey on multiple forums. A collector on another forum posted two images from a Finnish poster showing drawings of the connector, one in plan view and another in slight perspective. They can be seen here:

Panzerschreck rocket connector - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Now if someone could come up with an image of the pin with the wire attached I would be really "wired" !!!

Bill

?

Name:	manual1.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	225488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHD 8-1864-6_2.jpg 
Views:	1467 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	225485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHD 8-1864-6_1.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	225486Here's a reply I got to this thread running on another forum:
    "I saw your post on the communications forum about wire connection to rocket. I believe there were 2 types of rockets that could be used in the launcher. A ring contact type and a pin contact type. I think that the wood block was in the later type with a pin. It was made for simple manufacturing in the later part of the war. The wood block was a simple way to keep the pin from getting damaged in shipping and made a simple handle to push it into the tube's contact assembly at the top rear of the tube. As to how the wire was attached to the pin, there was likely some wired through the slot and held in by the tension of the groove and some also soldered to the pin (if the maker had solder to spare) after it was put into the pin groove. The big problem is that a lot of the manufacturing areas were moved into smaller and scattered places to protect them from bombing. This led to a wide variety of assembly practices on many armaments. I know this doesn't provide a nice simple answer to your question but I don't believe one really exists. Hope this helps. Good luck."
    I replied:
    "Thanks for the reply ! I think the info you have is correct only reversed. The wood block connector is on the early ammunition for the early "long" launcher. The ring contact ammo was used in the later "short launcher RPzB-54 (please see the walkaround image gallery at http://www.primeportal.net/armory/yu...panzerschreck/ ) which had a contact box with a switch which allowed it's use with ammo that had the woodblock connector and the new ammo with the contact ring. I will send you an image from the manual showing these connections via email. Thanks again and thanks for the "slot" idea, makes more sense !
    Regards, Bill"
    To which he replied:
    "I am sure you are right. I am going off memory of a poorly translated manual I had a friend in germany do on a whim almost 20 years ago. Do you have scans of the original German manual?"
    and then I said :
    "These should give you an idea of the setup of the firing circuit for the early and late schrecks.
    If there are any gun stores, surplus/Army-Navy stores, antique/junk stores, swap meet/flea markets, museums, or re-enactment events in your area you should hit as many as you can 'cause you never know what you will find there.
    Regards, Bill"
    and I sent these pictures . . .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manual2.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	225487  

?

Here's what I'm hoping to see a REAL picture of, Panzerschreck igniter to connector . . .

Name:	PshreckRktConnec2.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	226655

Well, it DOESN'T have to have my name on it !!!

?

Quote by bogdan View Post
    Here's what I'm hoping to see a REAL picture of, Panzerschreck igniter to connector . . .

Name:	PshreckRktConnec2.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	226655

Well, it DOESN'T have to have my name on it !!!
    Here ya go !

Hi Bogdan, Here is a link to Premium Militaria that has a Panzerschreck rocket WITH the wood connector attached !!!! Looks authentic. Can be seen at :

DEKO]DEKO]DEKO Rakete Panzerschreck - VERKAUFT - Rakete Panzerschreck - VERKAUFT

I sent an email through the Kontakt link to get permission to post the images themselves so it's a permanent record. I also asked for more images to see how the wire is secured to the plug pin. Wait long enough and your questions WILL be answered !!
    Best Regards,
    Bogdan

?

Wow !! Thanks for the link ! Like you said all you gotta do is wait long enough. Glad you had your eyes peeled and spotted this item. There was no hint that the connector was attached to the rocket in the first image. It appears that the wood block was cut in half for some reason. Stores nicely in the fins that way but would have liked to see it complete. Hope you get a reply on your request for more pictures. Now if someone here has some ideas of how the wire is attached please offer them. Looks to me like the wire is inserted in the slot, bent around a little and soldered. Again any comments would be welcomed.
    Thanks again for your keen eye and input Bogdan, hope to hear from you soon.
    Best regards,
    Bogdan

?

You're welcome.
    Bogdan

Seems like you are talking to yourself here...but glad you found the info you were after....

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast