Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A piece of history arrived today

Article about: A spam can full of WWII vintage .45.

?

Default A piece of history arrived today

A spam can full of WWII vintage .45.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A piece of history arrived today  

?

Default Re: A piece of history arrived today

Nice.
    You don't see WWII canned ammo very often.

?

Several places got some recently - this came from Sportsmans Guide. About $180 for the can. Another store has Winchester but is charging $40 more for a can.

A piece of history at least...Way to go Mark...Must be brass cased and therefore non corrosive (i think only EC 43 & ECS 43 are steel cased and corrosive)...
    Regards, Thanos.

?

Unfortunately, it is corrosive - no .45 cal manufacturers switched to non-corrosive primers until into the early 1950s. Evansville Chrysler primarily made steel-cased .45 ammo. But, it's not that hard to clean....I'm just not sure I want to pop this can to shoot it.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Unfortunately, it is corrosive - no .45 cal manufacturers switched to non-corrosive primers until into the early 1950s. Evansville Chrysler primarily made steel-cased .45 ammo. But, it's not that hard to clean....I'm just not sure I want to pop this can to shoot it.
    Yes i know what you mean...An unopened spam can, could fetch a premium in the future...I have about 50 .45 ACP ctgs steel-cased EC 43 and one single ECS 43, all in mint cond., that i don't plan to shoot. The method of cleaning the barrel and breechface of a M1911A1, to hose them down with warm soapwater, drying them and then apply a good film of oil is correct ? I was taught that during my Army duty, when shooting corrosive ammo.
    Best regards, Thanos.
    P.S. 1 I didn't know that all .45 ACP ctgs produced in the States are corrosive. I thought that only steel-cased ones were. Thanks for the enlightment...
    P.S. 2 By the way, when serving, Mark, you were issued the M9 Beretta ?
    Last edited by COLT 1911A1; 11-30-2011 at 07:34 AM.

Very nice. This kind of thing does not turn up in the UK.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by COLT 1911A1 View Post
    Yes i know what you mean...An unopened spam can, could fetch a premium in the future...I have about 50 .45 ACP ctgs steel-cased EC 43 and one single ECS 43, all in mint cond., that i don't plan to shoot. The method of cleaning the barrel and breechface of a M1911A1, to hose them down with warm soapwater, drying them and then apply a good film of oil is correct ? I was taught that during my Army duty, when shooting corrosive ammo.
    Best regards, Thanos.
    P.S. 1 I didn't know that all .45 ACP ctgs produced in the States are corrosive. I thought that only steel-cased ones were. Thanks for the enlightment...
    P.S. 2 By the way, when serving, Mark, you were issued the M9 Beretta ?
    I've also been told Windex is good for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo - but it might just be because it is water-based. I normally use hot water and clean 2 days in a row - and good doses of bore cleaner poured down the barrel.

When I initially wnt into the Army we still had M1911A1s. I never got used to them after we switched and always qualified better with the 1911s than the M9s. I think it might have something to do with the longer pull trigger - I tended to pull my shots left (I shoot a pistol left handed). And, I love the stopping power of the .45 - and carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II with Crimson Trace in a 3" barrel today as my concealed cary weapon of choice. There's nothing like the M1911 frame in my opinion.

Mark

Quote by MarkV View Post
    I've also been told Windex is good for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo - but it might just be because it is water-based. I normally use hot water and clean 2 days in a row - and good doses of bore cleaner poured down the barrel.

When I initially wnt into the Army we still had M1911A1s. I never got used to them after we switched and always qualified better with the 1911s than the M9s. I think it might have something to do with the longer pull trigger - I tended to pull my shots left (I shoot a pistol left handed). And, I love the stopping power of the .45 - and carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II with Crimson Trace in a 3" barrel today as my concealed cary weapon of choice. There's nothing like the M1911 frame in my opinion.

Mark
    I totaly agree with you on the M1911A1. I was issued a near-mint cond. Colt back in '88 when serving as an NCO and frankly, i still remember how sweet it felt in the hand and during shooting. Though i've tried the Beretta 92FS a while back when shooting practical, it's just not of my taste, so i had to turn to Glock 17 for the category.
    The Kimber CDP is an excellent choice for personal defence as it mates compactness with lightness together with a great big punch.
    Thanks for the info in cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.
    Thanos.