Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.

Article about: Hi Guys, Picked these up on the weekend from an antiques place and decided to put them on WRF. I think the shell is an 18 pounder shrapnel but all markings are covered but rust, and it has t

?

Default Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.

Hi Guys, Picked these up on the weekend from an antiques place and decided to put them on WRF. I think the shell is an 18 pounder shrapnel but all markings are covered but rust, and it has the cap as shown. The fuse is marked no 221B-1-P9 42. I guess what I would like to know is----- are they both inert from what you can see . I like my house where it is !!! I can provide more photos if required .Also what would the fuse be used for
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.   Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.  

Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.   Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.  

Possible 1 8 pounder and 221 B fuze.  

Some of your pictures are too blurry to make out I'm afraid. Does look like an 18lber though.

To clean the rust off, you could either soak the shell in molasses, (A T Sweep has had some excellent results with this), or a strong solution of citric acid, (I myself have recently had excellent results with this), to remove the rust and reveal the markings.

?

Hi Steve, Thanks for the info.!! If it helps, shell is 10 inches tall , 3 inches wide and I will try your suggestion re rust removal. I will take better photos tomorrow, pretty cold out and I was rushing.