Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pre display check

Article about: Hi all, Been asked to display my shell collection at the local school fete on Saturday. Th Mrs reminded me that I should work out what I am taking along, as I only have a couple of days left

Default Pre display check

Hi all,

Been asked to display my shell collection at the local school fete on Saturday. Th Mrs reminded me that I should work out what I am taking along, as I only have a couple of days left. So here is my pre school fete display.

Regards to all, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre display check  

?

Default Re: Pre display check

Nice display, Simon! What's sad is, this would never be allowed in the U.S. Parents of the children would be up in arms and all types of lawsuits would ensue.

yuengling325,
    My kids school has ww2 on its corriculum, so the P.T.A (parents teacher association) have asked me to bring along and display some of my militaria. I have been asked not to display too many Nazi items, so my shell collection is the best group for me to display. We also have an Anderson Shelter being shown as part of a living display by a local couple. They bring their shelter to schools to show the kids what it would have been like to have to use shelters during a raid.
    Why would there be such an 'uproar' in the US over children being shown items from the past?
    Regards, Simon.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Hi all,

Been asked to display my shell collection at the local school fete on Saturday. Th Mrs reminded me that I should work out what I am taking along, as I only have a couple of days left. So here is my pre school fete display.

Regards to all, Simon.
    simon very nice display!! i have since started collecting shells and all types of bullets aswell

you have a nice collection there... i like the 2cm FLAK in the front... if i'm right though..:P

cheers,

Ewan thanks and good luck with your shell collection. Estate sales are a good place to find cheap large calibre shells

klokhoane you are correct it is a 2cm flak

Regards to all, Simon.

?

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    yuengling325,
    My kids school has ww2 on its corriculum, so the P.T.A (parents teacher association) have asked me to bring along and display some of my militaria. I have been asked not to display too many Nazi items, so my shell collection is the best group for me to display. We also have an Anderson Shelter being shown as part of a living display by a local couple. They bring their shelter to schools to show the kids what it would have been like to have to use shelters during a raid.
    Why would there be such an 'uproar' in the US over children being shown items from the past?
    Regards, Simon.

Let me preface by saying I completely agree with and applaud what you are doing. I feel in addition to reading about history, seeing relics of items used during that period help children to understand what was actually happening. Sometimes the words go in one ear and out the other, whereas seeing an item will typically stick with them for life. I know that was, for the most part, the case with me!

The problem is, schools in the States are so overly nervous, and I can agree that they have reason to be, but in typical fashion they take it too far. With incidents like the shootings in Columbine and Virginia Tech, to bring in ordnance such as what is in your display into a school, even with you being a responsible adult and knowing full well the items have been made useless, wouldn’t even make it past the suggestion phase. It’s a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately the truth.

Hell, even bringing in a small toy gun for an action figure can earn a child a suspension from school!

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52

But, this is par for the course in the U.S. and at this point, nothing surprises me any more.

In any case, I didn’t mean to detract from your thread and hope everything goes well. The children will be in for a real treat to see and learn from these items!

yuengling325,
    Thanks for the link about the nine year old boy and his toy gun. The poor little kid being marched to the heads office over an action figures gun. And the kid was playing with a toy police man because he was proud of his father's career in the police force. Now that is the 'nanny' state taking things too far. I agree, best to educate the children rather than living in a state of paranioa.
    Regards, Simon.

Wonderful display SW.

Should be a good talking point for many parents and children alike

Steve T

Thanks Steve
    Regards to all, Simon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast