Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Preservation of Ground Found Cartridge Cases and Shrapnel Balls - Fromelles (Sugarloaf)

Article about: Hi All, I tried to search as to what is the best method to preserve ground found cartridge cases and shrapnel balls from WW1 to inhibit the rust and corrosion to them? I couldn't find anythi

Default Preservation of Ground Found Cartridge Cases and Shrapnel Balls - Fromelles (Sugarloaf)

Hi All,

I tried to search as to what is the best method to preserve ground found cartridge cases and shrapnel balls from WW1 to inhibit the rust and corrosion to them? I couldn't find anything but may have been looking in the wrong place.

I have a few cart cases that are either German or Western Allies (I hope Aussie or British) which I had found a couple of years ago at Fromelles in Belgium near the famous Sugarloaf salient (before the hallowed ground became a mecca for tourists and some of my countrymen (with the best of intentions in mind)), which I am thankful for. I couldn't believe the feeling you get there and want to preserve these for my younger members of our family.

I do not wish for anyone to re-hash old ground so any direction as to what is the best way to protect these would be great.

I will post some photos soon although I expect some of you have seen many of these items.

Cheers,

Toffster

Default Re: Preservation of Ground Found Cartridge Cases and Shrapnel Balls - Fromelles (Sugarloaf)

Toffster - If they're brass, a quick wash and a scrub will suffice. If they're steel, this is a whole different and more challenging matter. Electrolysis seems to be the method of choice, with a soak in white vinegar coming a close second. I'm afraid nothing, however, will save the already rusty parts of your finds. Best you can do is dry them out and see what happens.

Have a look in the 'Restoration and refurbishing' sub forum for more in depth tips.

Restoration & Refurbishing at War relics forum

Steve T

Default Re: Preservation of Ground Found Cartridge Cases and Shrapnel Balls - Fromelles (Sugarloaf)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I may need to post a couple of photos as they have gone a light blue/light grey colour which I assume is brass, but you cannot see any of the original material. They are in pretty corroded condition which I assume is normal for most things found on the Western Front due to the cold moist earth there?

I will check out the link you have provided and see what happens.

Very much obliged, and thanks again.

Dave