Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Probate Auction Finds

Article about: Steve, my mate Cyril was a mechanic in the RAF during the war, he introduced me to his friend last night. His friend was an armorer with the RAF, he informed me that the best way of telling

Default Probate Auction Finds

Hi All,
    My 'Travelling Salesman' brought these round for me yesterday. They came from a Probate auction in the UK. Looks like quite an assortment which include a lot of beach found cases and heads.
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Probate Auction Finds  

Default Re: Probate Auction Finds

A close up of the 30-06 blank case. I'm not sure why it has the two bands visible towards the base.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Probate Auction Finds   Probate Auction Finds  

.308 Norma Magnum (7.62x65mmBR)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Probate Auction Finds   Probate Auction Finds  

9x19mm Parabellum, which made me very happy when I spotted 'Luger' on the base. Four of these turned up in this purchase, one of which went to a fellow collector.

Last edited by shadowwolf; 07-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.

I cleaned up one of the 20mm heads with wd40 light oil as suggested by "Fallschirmjäger" (Tim) on his thread about cleaning his .303 browning. Cheers Tim, it works well.
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Probate Auction Finds  

?

The .308 Norma case looks like a 7.62x51 ( .308 Win. )
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Zwerge,
    I stand corrected, 7.62x51 it is. I never measured the case. I quickly hunted the web for .308 and Norma and presumed that it was a 7.62x65mm. Though it is photographed next to a ruler, I never measured it. Thanks for setting me straight on this one.
    Regards to all, Simon.

Nice finds SW.

I know a long disused gunnery range that is chock full of those things.

But now, here is where you can educate me ! (Yes, I am going to admit to not being entirely sure about a relic !!!!!! (write it in your diaries )).

The 20mm heads.......I thought were all explosive ? Were some solid shot ? If not, aren't the ones you have a tad dangerous ? I'd love to know......I've lost count of the number of 20mm heads I've come across and walked away from as I assumed they were all explosive ! Obviously the ones with the brass nose fuse are......but I was under the impression the 'solid' ones were as well, carrying an 'internal' gain and detonator.

cheers

Steve T

Steve,
    The 20mm heads were all sold by a reputable auction house, so I hope they are safe. The auction houses that my 'travelling salesman' visits check and verify everything before it is sold by them. There is the possibility that these slipped through their 'net', so if any one has any thoughts please let me know.
    Regards, Simon.

The 20mm Hispano as used by the R.A.F. fired both HE and solid ammunition.
    Regards, Simon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast