Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

rifle case to ID

Article about: Hello, I've recently found this spent case on a ww2 battlefield area. Thought it was a german K98 case before cleaning, but the markings are unknown to me

?

Default rifle case to ID

Hello, I've recently found this spent case on a ww2 battlefield area. Thought it was a german K98 case before cleaning, but the markings are unknown to me
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture rifle case to ID   rifle case to ID  

Last edited by Zeller; 01-01-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Regards

Matt

?

Default Re: rifle case to ID

Greek, made by the Greek Cartridge and Powder Co. in 1940. I assume it is 7.9 x 57mm and not 6.5mm.

Where was it found?

Happy New Year,
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

Thank you Tony for the quick ID! The Sigma lead me on that way, but I thought it was a bit too strange to find it in north eastern Italy. However, there might be an explanation but I am just guessing: since it was found in an area where german soldiers scruffled their feathers with Tito partisans, it could be 1. that it was an old stock still used by germans defending the city garrison (alot of austrian made cases were found too) 2. that it was used by yugoslav partisans. What do you think?
    Regards

Matt

?

I suspect the most likely explanation is that it was used by the German garrison, since garrison troops were often equipped with "booty" weapons and ammunition.

The reason I originally asked about location was because Britain purchased a large amount of Greek 7.9mm ammo in 1939 and 40 from that company whilst domestic production for the BESA got under way. The bulk of it was headstamp "PCH 40" (Pouderie et Cartoucherie Hellene) but I have wondered whether any was marked in Greek.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

the initials ΕΣ mean Greeκ Army

exactly like those ones, found in Northern Greece.
    I suppose that the case is from the Greek surplus which the Germans have stolen from the Greeks during the occupation 1941-1944 and then used it against the Italians and the Yugoslavians.
    Happy new year, aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture rifle case to ID   rifle case to ID  

?

great integration Aghs !
    Regards

Matt