Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Russian 82mm mortar

Article about: On sunday again in the woods North east of Vienna, only thing found was a 82mm mortar. How can i find out if this has been fired or if it is a dud ? and is it possible to deactivate it in th

Default Russian 82mm mortar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mortar.jpg 
Views:	1838 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	389765On sunday again in the woods North east of Vienna, only thing found was a 82mm mortar. How can i find out if this has been fired or if it is a dud ? and is it possible to deactivate it in the state it is in. Have visions of this being in my collection but alittle concerned of the Boom factor. and of course pretty much attached to my fingers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mortar.jpg 
Views:	1838 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	389765
    Last edited by Steve T; 08-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Default Re: Russian 82mm mortar and how can i deactivate this ???

It looks very live to me with the fuse intact. Calling EOD would be much smarter then blowing your head off for a peice of rusty iron. Please don't even attempt to move, handle or disarm this.

Burt
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon

Do NOT attempt to deactivate this or even move it. It needs dealing with by the appropriate authorities.

Over the years it has spent in the ground the explosive leeches into the fuze thread and body of the mortar. Any attempt to unscrew the fuze will cause the explosive to detonate.

Steve T

Thanks folks,

My apologies with the title, more appropriately it should have been : How risky are these ? it wasnt about an immediate need to deactivate but about wanting to know more about this and if it were possible.
    As i said in the thread, i am attached to my fingers and am afraid of things that go Boom so dont do anything unless i know what i am doing. hence the post to find out more.

Thanks for the info, and the disposal guys have been called to get rid of it.

Quote by Tango9Tango View Post
    ..... i am attached to my fingers and am afraid of things that go Boom ......
    This would have removed far more than your fingers if it went off. In fact, there would just be a pair of smoking boots left and not a lot else !!

Ok so now we have established that i am attached to my fingers as well as the rest of my body ( except my boots of course)..

Just more description of the round and some wonderings ..........
    Since the Police wont be able to find it and i have to show them where it is, going to try get chatty with them to find out how many of these they have found in these woods : said woods being only about 2km long by about 1km wide)

An area of about 400 square meters is covered in explosion craters and i know the Russians were pushing for this high ground on their way toward Northern Austria. Strangest thing is that although i have found things like army spoons, medical kit scissors, jerry can etc, have not found a single cartridge in my four or five visits.

Also dont seem to have found any single hole positions or for that matter any trench lines. Did find a massive dugout area ( about 30 feet wide) which i think was some kind of stattion ( medical or otherwise) since i found all the above items in this dugout. But alas no manholes or trenches,

reading Franz Jordans book about the final days in Lower Austria, he mentions the fighting in the area and also mentions the attack through these woods.

What i would love to know is :
    1: Who stole the trenches ?
    2: Were these central large dugout areas common ? maybe serving as an aid station or an HQ? ( the dugout area commands the whole hill facing east
    3: For that amount of shell holes in a small area of about 20m by 20m and then very little for quite a distance around it, what were the russians targeting ? or was it just Spec fire ? i know not going ot get th eanswers but still curious. Still need to explore the rest of the area but to date its only these 2 areas on that hill top which show evidence.

Still new to metal detecting so maybe i am missing something and would appreciate anything i should be looking for. have read the threads on hints and tips and am following them but still cant find those damn trenches even though there was supposed to be a battle hereClick image for larger version. 

Name:	area.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	389776
    Last edited by Tango9Tango; 08-29-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: uploading pic