Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Shell cases: Got two more that I'd like to know more about.

Article about: Hi there. I have been collecting shells since i was very young, i know where most are from, but there are always a few that i don't know allot about... That was until i discovered this place

Default Shell cases: Got two more that I'd like to know more about.

Hi there.

I have been collecting shells since i was very young, i know where most are from, but there are always a few that i don't know allot about... That was until i discovered this place!

Ive always liked these twins, and they are my oldest ones from the 1900's.

.50 BMG is for scale.

Thank you for your time.

?

Default re: Shell cases: Got two more that I'd like to know more about.

They appear to be 3 Pdr Navy cases. The N with pheon above it signifies Navy. They should be 47mm diameter inside the case mouth. They were evidently "liberated" at the same time as they are identically marked.

Quote by HAZORD View Post
    They appear to be 3 Pdr Navy cases. The N with pheon above it signifies Navy. They should be 47mm diameter inside the case mouth. They were evidently "liberated" at the same time as they are identically marked.
    Oh dear, i forgot to post the measurements. So yes, they are indeed 47mm. What do you mean with "liberated"?

Thanks again for helping.

?

What I mean with liberated, is that they were stolen from the Royal Navy after being fired. Items marked with the pheon belong to the crown.

I don't think they want them back.

Quote by HAZORD View Post
    What I mean with liberated, is that they were stolen from the Royal Navy after being fired. Items marked with the pheon belong to the crown.

I don't think they want them back.
    I sure hope they don't. I don't really know what they did with these after they were fired. Toss them overboard? Melt them back on shore?

I guess it was cheaper to make new complete shells then to re-use the fired ones. Except with the real big boys.

?

Default Re: Shell cases: Got two more that I'd like to know more about.

Actually they reloaded a lot of cartridge cases back in that time. They would be inspected, reloaded, and marked with another set of inspector's stamps and a stake mark to signify it is a reload. It's not uncommon to find cases with 3 and 4 stake marks to show they have been reloaded multiple times.