Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shell Casings from Guernsey.

Article about: Hi Chaps. Could someone help me identify these two casings that I recently found in Guernsey? The larger one is 350mm in length and 75mm internal at the top. The smaller one is 195mm in leng

Default Shell Casings from Guernsey.

Hi Chaps.
    Could someone help me identify these two casings that I recently found in Guernsey? The larger one is 350mm in length and 75mm internal at the top. The smaller one is 195mm in length and 45mm internal at the top, and 75mm at the base.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shell Casings from Guernsey.   Shell Casings from Guernsey.  

Shell Casings from Guernsey.  

Default Re: Shell Casings from Guernsey.

The smaller one is French:

47mm x 193mm
    Used in: Mle 1935 tank gun (S-35 and Char B bis -Mk1)
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade.
    Cheers for that. The smaller one actually came from the sea bed, and was totally incased in barnacles.

?

The big one is for these guns........75 mm Gun M2/M3/M6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks for your info Chaps. One French and one American, I wonder how they came to be in Guernsey? British and German ordnance I can understand, but these are dated 1923 and 1935. Or have I got that wrong?
    Cheers
    Mark

?

Quote by Mark Tuson View Post
    Thanks for your info Chaps. One French and one American, I wonder how they came to be in Guernsey? British and German ordnance I can understand, but these are dated 1923 and 1935. Or have I got that wrong?
    Cheers
    Mark
    Hi,you have the dates right,maybe they used to belong to a collector of militaria?...........Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I know that the Germans utilized captured French (and others) guns for their beach fortifications...which would explain the French casing...
    Interesting find!
    Glenn

The guy I got them from found them on the Island. The French one was retrieved from the sea bed, and the other was found in a field. He said he used to have a whole pile of them.
    When I go over in the new year, I'll have to find out a bit more about them.
    Cheers